Residential and Nonresidential Utility CustomersWhen it is time to water, remember to follow the year-round Alternate Day Watering schedule:
- Even addresses: Wed, Fri, Sun
- Odd addresses: Tues, Thurs, Sat
- Drip irrigation and hand watering (hose, watering can, etc.) is allowed any day of the week
- Read the ordinance (Sec. 36-80)
A 45-day exemption to the alternate day rule is available for establishing new grass and for seasonal reseeding. Registration is required.
Watering restrictions do not apply to washing of cars, driveways, houses, etc.
Customers who irrigate with reclaimed water, well or pond water do not need to follow the alternate-day watering schedule.
The Need for Conservation
Demand for water in summertime can double the demand during winter. To help the Town meet demand during peak usage, customers should water lawns no more than 1 inch per week, including rainfall.
Outdoor Watering Tips
Overwatering causes 75 percent of turf problems. Help avoid those problems by:
- watering no more than 1 inch per week, including rainfall, if you water regularly;
- watering deeply and infrequently to build a healthier root system;
- using the “cycle and soak” method to water deeply; and
- watering early in the morning or late in the evening to avoid losing up to 50 percent of your irrigation water to evaporation.
311 or (919) 469-4000 outside Cary