Victims' Rights

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

As a result of recent additions to the Crime Victims' Rights Act, victims are receiving increases in compensation and the right to be notified and heard. The Cary Police Department has designed a brochure for victims that includes a list of agencies, phone numbers and services. These services range from counseling to financial assistance. Police officers are responsible for ensuring that victims receive this information.

The Cary Police Department has detectives assigned to domestic violence cases as well as a Victim Assistance Coordinator. The detectives have created a letter listing major resources to help victims and outlining action for victims to ensure their safety. The Domestic Violence Detectives are responsible for mailing out the letter to victims.

As required by the Crime Victims' Rights Act, the Victim Assistance Coordinator sends information regarding victims in domestic violence cases to the Wake County District Attorney's Office. Triangle Family Services and Interact are other agencies that receive information about victims so they may offer further assistance. For emergencies, call 911.


Below are resources to call for help, information or advice:

  • For general information and non-emergencies, call (919) 469-4012. You may also contact a Domestic Violence detective directly (Monday through Friday): Rebecca Platz, (919) 380-4103, or Katy Cordell, (919) 319-4522. To make a police report that is NOT an emergency, please call (919) 469-4012.
  • Interact - (919) 828-7740. Services for the support and safety of victims of domestic violence. This service also provides a 24-hour crisis line and an emergency shelter for battered women and their children. There is an Interact Advocate at the Town of Cary Police Department on Mondays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
  • Triangle Family Services - (919) 821-0790. Offering individual, group, marriage, family, child and adolescent family counseling, along with DOSE, or Domestic Offenders Sentenced to Education. This is a 26-week program offered by Triangle Family Services. The program is designed to help men learn alternatives to deal with emotions without the use of violence.
  • CosTran - (919) 836-9021. Works with adults over the age of 18 who are involved in the legal system due to any type of alcohol or drug related charges (such as driving while impaired, consuming alcohol/drugs while younger than 21, or possession of marijuana or other drugs) or assault related charges (involving domestic relationships or family).
  • Start Your Recovery -  Provides a local listing of drug and alcohol rehab centers, counseling and support, including services for past domestic violence. Resources are from nonprofit, academic and government institutions.
  • Magistrate’s Office - (919) 255-7700. For criminal charges and other information.
  • Wake County Jail - (919) 773-7930.
  • Wake County Sheriff’s Communication Center - (819) 856-6911. Call to see if a protection order has been served.
  • Wake County Sheriff’s Victims Services Unit - (919) 856-5623 or (919) 856-6816.
  • SAVAN - (877) 627-2826. Victims can call this number to find if a suspect is still in jail or can request to be notified when the suspect is released.
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline – (800) 799-SAFE. Hotline advocates available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals.
  • Online Directory of Crime Victim Services
  • Homeland Security Investigations Victim Notification Program - Allows eligible victims and witnesses to obtain reliable and timely information regarding a criminal alien's release from custody. This notification program requires victims and witnesses to register with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

These are only a few examples of the resources available to you. To find out more, please contact the Cary Police Department or Interact of Wake County.

Steps to getting a Domestic Violence Protection Order

Go to the Civil Clerk of Court on the 5th floor of the Wake County Courthouse and ask for a form called COMPLAINT AND MOTION FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PROTECTIVE ORDER. These can also be obtained from Interact or the Cary Police Department. Fill out the form carefully. You will be the plaintiff (the person making the complaint), and the person you have/had a personal relationship with will be the defendant (the person accused of abuse). Write their full name and home and work addresses in the box called “Name and Address of Defendant.” Give a phone number if possible. After you fill out the form, sign it in front of a notary public or court clerk.

Fill out the top part of the CIVIL SUMMONS. Write your name and a safe mailing address and phone number where you can be reached (if you are staying at a shelter or other secret place, do not write the actual street address). Write the defendant’s name, home and work addresses, and phone number, if possible. Write directions on the summons if the defendant’s address is hard to find.

File the Complaint with the Clerk of Court. Fill out the Complaint and Motion and file with the Clerk of Court.

Ask the clerk for the date and time of your hearing. If you asked for an ex parte order in your      Complaint and Motion let the clerk know this. You will need to meet with a judge between 2 and 5 pm, Monday through Friday in Courtroom 5A. Whether or not you asked for an ex parte order, you will have a hearing for a Domestic Violence Protective Order. This hearing should be held within a week to ten days.

Before the hearing for a Domestic Violence Protective Order, a copy of the court papers must be served (delivered) to the defendant by the Wake County Sheriff’s Department. If you received an ex parte order, it will be served with the other papers.

The ex parte order is good for 10 days. After the 10 days are up, the victim must come back to court. The victim can request the order to be extended for one year.

For more information on DVPO's, you can refer to the following Web sites:

A Safety Plan

A "safety plan" is a plan that you design to avoid being hurt. Below are some things to consider gathering or arranging ahead of time:

  • Fifty dollars ($50) in cash or more available (hidden).
  • A small bag with extra clothes for you ( and children, if applicable).
  • Extra keys for house and car.
  • Any important papers (social security card, checkbook, insurance cards etc.).
  • Important phone numbers, including ones like Interact (919-828-7740) and the National Domestic Violence Hotline (1-800-799-SAFE).
  • Any special medications for you (and children, if applicable).
  • A place you can go (keep it secret).

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer