Responsibilities of the Unit
The property and evidence custodian has the responsibility of receiving, documenting, storing and maintaining the integrity and security of all items of property and evidence submitted by the Cary Police Department.
In addition to receiving and maintaining control of these items, Property and Evidence staff has the responsibility of monitoring and arranging disposition of each item as soon as possible. Once they are sorted, items are:
- Released to the lawful owner
- Scheduled for destruction
- Sold to the general public through an online auction company
- Donated to local charities
- Converted to department use
Pick UpProper documentation must be presented for release of items by the custodian, and in some cases investigators must ensure evidence items are ready to be released. It is strongly encouraged that persons wishing to pick up evidence or property call (919) 319-4516 to make an appointment, and to discuss what paperwork will be required. Appointments will generally be made Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
FirearmsFirearms will not be released to any person if any of the following is applicable:
- A minor under the age of 21
- Any felony conviction
- Probation restrictions prohibiting the possession of firearms
- Restraining orders prohibiting possession of firearms