- Be vigilant.
Immediately report suspicious or unfamiliar vehicles and pedestrians to police.
- Make sure that all doors, windows, and skylights are secured.
Use the best possible locks and check locks regularly to ensure they remain in good working order. While no lock is burglar proof, the more difficult it is to gain entry, the longer it will take, which increases the chances of burglars’ getting caught.
- Close garage doors overnight.
Garage burglaries are one of Cary's most occurring preventable crimes. While there isn't anything illegal about leaving garages open, doing so makes it very easy for criminals to steal valuable items and may grant unwanted access to your home.
- Book a home safety inspection.
A free service by the Town of Cary, a home safety inspection allows a police officer to identify physical weaknesses in and around a home and offer low-cost suggestions to improve safety and security.
- Use variable light timers and motion-sensitive lights to activate lighting inside your home.
If utilizing an alarm system, make sure to have clearly visible signage stating the premises is protected by an alarm and set video systems to record day and nighttime activity.
- Ensure valuables are not visible from the street, especially high-end electronics.