What is Minimum Housing Program?

The Cary Minimum Housing Program serves to protect the health, safety and welfare of Cary’s residents and visitors, and maintain property values by establishing certain standards of fitness for buildings used for human habitation. Keeping Cary neighborhoods safe, healthy, and attractive is an important part of maintaining our hometown’s integrity. The Town of Cary joins with many other towns and cities in our area in regulating housing and property to assure the protection of the health, safety and welfare of the residents of our town.

The Town assures compliance with its Minimum Housing Code both by encouraging voluntary compliance and by following progressive steps of enforcement for code violations.

How does the program work?

If you are a tenant and there is an issue with your dwelling or property, first contact your landlord or property manager to seek resolution of the problem. If the problem is not resolved in a timely manner, contact the Minimum Housing Inspector.  An owner cannot retaliate against a tenant who complains of a housing code violation.

In addition, as a conscientious citizen, if you notice a dwelling or property in disrepair that may constitute a safety or life-threat issue, contact the Minimum Housing Inspector.

What defines minimum housing?

The Town of Cary requires dwelling units to meet the following minimum requirements to be considered safe and habitable.  These requirements include, but are not limited to:

  • Property meets fire, health and safety code standards.
  • Safe foundation, stairs, walls, roofs and porches.
  • Hot and cold running water available.
  • Usable sinks in the kitchen, bath and laundry areas.
  • Functional toilets, bathtubs and showers.
  • Adequate and safe electrical wiring.
  • Properly installed windows and doors.
  • Functional heating and cooling systems.
  • Controlled rodent and pest population.
  • Occupancy which meets required standards.
  • Maintained grounds and accessory buildings.

Who do I contact to file a Minimum Housing complaint?

If you feel that a property does not meet the minimum housing requirements described above, please contact the Minimum Housing Inspector by phone at (919) 469-4046 or email.  Please be sure to include the following information in your email.

  • Your name
  • Address of property you have a concern about
  • The best contact number to reach you
  • A brief description of the issue.

What happens next?

The Minimum Housing Inspector will conduct an inspection, in a timely manner, of the dwelling or property to determine any Minimum Housing violations. If there appears to be an ordinance violation, the inspector will determine the action necessary to comply with the ordinance, which may include the following:

  • A Courtesy letter will be sent to the property owner detailing the violations to be remedied. The owner has 10 working days to remedy the problem or contact the Minimum Housing office.
  • A second inspection will be conducted after the 10-day grace period to determine if further action is required. A Final letter will be sent if the dwelling or property has been brought into compliance. A Complaint and Notice of Hearing letter with a set hearing date will be scheduled if issues still remain to be discussed.
  • An Order will be issued after the hearing has taken place, giving the owner a determined length of time in which to bring the dwelling or property into compliance.
  • If this time elapses without compliance of all issues established at the hearing, a Civil Citation will be issued.
  • Penalties will continue to accumulate until the dwelling or property has been brought into complete compliance with the Minimum Housing code of ordinances.


Darrell Parnell, Minimum Housing Inspector
Minimum Housing & Multi-Trade Inspector
P.O. Box 8005
Cary, NC 27512-8005
311 or (919) 469-4046