Location: 311 South Academy Street
Designated in 2008
The Dr. John Pullen Hunter House is significant for its historical association with Dr. Hunter and his family. The family descended from Isaac Hunter, owner of a popular tavern in Wake County where the Constitutional Convention met in 1788.
Dr. Hunter was a practicing physician and the son of Rev. Alsey Dalton Hunter, an early Baptist minister. Dr. Hunter practiced medicine in Cary from 1920 to 1959. He also served on the Cary Town Board and the Wake County Board of Education, was the president of the Cary Chamber of Commerce and was a member of the Cary Masonic Lodge.
Today, the Hunter House is one of the finest examples of a Craftsman bungalow in the Downtown Cary National Register Historic District. The property also contains the only intact, original chicken coop in the district.
For more information, read the Landmark Designation Report.