Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How do I request another cart? 
To order additional carts, please call 311 or (919) 469-4090, or submit a request. The charge for each additional garbage cart is $4.00 per month and will be added to your utility bill. There is no charge for additional recycling carts. 

What should I do if I can’t fit all of my household waste into my solid waste or recycling cart and I choose not to have a second cart?
All waste/recycling must be placed in the cart to ensure collection. Overflow waste can be:

  • Scheduled for special curbside collection by submitting a request or calling 311 or (919) 469-4090 (fees apply)

How can I dispose of large items such as a mattress, grill, sofa, toilet, or large appliance?
Bulky trash items or appliances can be disposed of as follows:

  • Scheduled for special curbside collection by submitting a request, or calling 311 or (919) 469-4090 (fees apply)

What should I do if I want my properly prepared yard waste collected prior to my normal collection day?
Yard waste can be disposed of at the Citizen's Convenience Center, 313 N. Dixon Avenue.  Please note size limitations and type of yard waste accepted at the center. Or you may call us at  311 or (919) 469-4090 to request a special pick up (fees apply).

Where should my cart be stored during the week?
Carts should be stored behind the building line of the side of the structure facing the principal street. If a cart is stored in front of the building line, it must be stored in an enclosed structure so that the cart cannot be seen from the street.

When do I place my cart at the curb for collection?
Carts may be placed at the curb no earlier than dusk the day before  your collection day and must be returned to the storage location no later than 6 a.m. the day after.  

What happens if my neighbor leaves their cart at the curb beyond 6 a.m. the day following collection? Report violations to 311 or (919) 469-4090. For the first notice, staff will place an informational hanger on the cart and move it back to its proper location. Additional notices within 12 months of the first infraction will result in staff placing a notice of violation on the cart and rolling it to the proper location. A $15 “roll-in” fee will also be added to the customer's utility bill.

What if I am physically unable to roll the cart to and from the curb?
If your doctor feels that you are physically unable to roll your cart to the curb, you request a special service exemption by submitting a Curbside Collection Assistance Request form. Your doctor must confirm the need on the form in writing. The form may also be requested by calling 311 or (919) 469-4090. The Town may periodically request that your doctor confirm continuing need.

Where do I place my garbage cart, recycling cart/bin, and yard waste container if I have limited street frontage, such as on a cul-de-sac?
Place your garbage cart and recycling cart/bin on the curb, not in the street. Place yard waste behind the cart(s).

What happens if I forget to place my cart at the curb or a vehicle that is not mine is obstructing collection?
Call 311 or (919) 469-4090 or submit a request to schedule a missed collection pickup. 

How does the program affect business customers?
Business customers are allowed a maximum of two 95 gallon carts. Business customers exceeding this volume must arrange for service through a private commercial collector, and will not pay a solid waste fee to the Town.

What should I do with my cart when I move?
The rollout cart is the property of the Town of Cary and should be left at the property when moving.

What should I do if my cart breaks?
Report issues with your cart by submitting a request for service, or calling 311 or (919) 469-4090. Carts damaged through abuse will be replaced by the Town and resident charged the cost of the new cart on their utility bill.

Need more information? Contact 311 or (919) 469-4090, or submit a request. 

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer