Guide to Services V-Z

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Interested in selling goods or services to the Town? Contact Purchasing for details at 469-4078.

Volunteer Opportunities
See Volunteer to Serve

Water Bills
See Utility Customer Service

Water Conservation
The Town has a comprehensive water conservation program which includes educational, incentive, and regulatory programs. Educational programs include presentations to elementary schools and civic organizations, landscaping and irrigation workshops, water use audits, and the popular "Beat the Peak" program conducted each summer. Incentive programs include rebates for water-conserving items such as early-closing toilet flappers and the tiered-rate structure. Regulatory programs include ordinances addressing rain sensors, water waste, and alternate day watering. Public Works & Utilities, 311 or (919) 469-4090

Water Disinfection
In accordance with state and federal regulations, the Cary/Apex Water Treatment Facility each March temporarily stops adding ammonia to its water treatment disinfection process. Customers who use kidney dialysis machines should be aware that water might contain chlorine, ammonia, or a mixture of the two at the beginning and end of March. The water plant resumes adding ammonia to the water treatment process on April 1st. As part of their annual work, Town crews in March also flush the entire water system by opening each fire hydrant for about 10-15 minutes. Public Works & Utilities, 311 or (919) 469-4090

Water Quality
The water distribution system is routinely flushed to assure water quality in the water distribution system. The semi annual testing and exercising of fire hydrants (see Water System and Fire Hydrant Maintenance) contributes to the overall flushing effort. Water samples are taken at a number of locations throughout the Town to ensure water system quality meets the requirements of the Safe Drinking Water Act. Citizens with concerns about the quality of their drinking water should call 311 or (919) 469-4090.

Water Leaks
The Town routinely surveys 50-75 miles of the water distribution system per month with electronic listening devices to minimize loss from the water system. The Town schedules system repairs as leaks are discovered. The public is encouraged to report all system leaks as soon as possible to customer service at 311 or (919) 469-4090.

Whenever a customer experiences a water leak inside a home or business, the main water shut off valve should be located and turned off. If the valve cannot be located or shut off, call 311 or (919) 469-4090, weekdays from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. or (919) 469-4012 after hours and on holidays, to have the water meter shut off so repairs can be made. The homeowner is responsible for repairs both inside the home and from the dwelling to the water meter. The Town is responsible for repairing leaks in the street or between the street and the meter. If there is an unusual increase in water consumption on your utility bill, consider checking around the hot water tank and underneath the house for water leaks. Toilets can also be checked for leaks by performing a dye test. Call 311 or (919) 469-4050 to further discuss a water consumption increase or to schedule a water audit. Public Works & Utilities, 311 or (919) 469-4090

Water Meters
The Town of Cary installs and maintains all water meters and related appurtenances for residential and commercial sites within Town limits. Other related water meter services and contact numbers are:

  • Purchase of water meter - contractor/building: Permits & Inspections, 311 or (919) 469-4340
  • Installation of new meter: Public Works & Utilities, 311 or (919) 469-4090
  • Leaks: See water leaks
  • Raising, lowering, and repairing meter boxes: Public Works & Utilities, 311 or (919) 469-4090
  • Replacing meter box lids: Public Works & Utilities, 311 or (919) 469-4090
  • Low water pressure: Public Works & Utilities, 311 or (919) 469-4090
  • Replacement of water meters (broken glass, hard to read, aged out, etc.): Finance, 311 or (919) 469-4050

Water System and Fire Hydrant Maintenance
The Town performs operational tests and system maintenance on all Town of Cary fire hydrants twice each year. The tests serve a dual purpose by assuring adequate fire flow and the flushing of sedimentation from the distribution system. Please refer any questions about fire hydrants to 311 or (919) 469-4090.

Watering Schedule
See Alternate Day Watering

Water Waste
As part of the Town's comprehensive water conservation program, the water waste ordinance prohibits directly watering impervious surfaces (sidewalks, driveways or streets) and over watering to the extent that runoff occurs from the property. Field staff and workshops are available to provide information for customers to maintain and calibrate their irrigation systems. Public Works & Utilities, 311 or (919) 469-4090

The Town's award-winning website,, is a primary information resource for the Town of Cary. Information about current news and events, Town Council, Town meetings, projects, ordinances, and initiatives is available 24 hours a day. Information Technology, (919) 462-3925

If you would like to install a well for irrigation, several steps are required. Prior to digging a well, you will need to get a permit from the Wake County Environmental Services Department at 336 Fayetteville St. Mall (6th floor, room 620). You will need to take a site plan of your lot; it is best to call first in order to get details on specific information that needs to be included. For more information call (919) 856-7400 or visit their website. After receiving approval from the county, and prior to connecting the well to your irrigation system, you will need to obtain plumbing and electrical permits issued through the Town of Cary's Inspections and Permits Department located in the lower level of Town Hall Building B, 318 N. Academy Street. Inspections & Permits, 311 or (919) 469-4340

Yard Sale Signs
See Signs

Yard Waste
See Solid Waste Collection

Programs for youth are offered at Bond Park Community Center, Cary Community Center, Page-Walker Arts & History Center, Stevens Nature Center, Jordan Hall Arts Center, and Bond Park. Youth sports organized by Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources include T-ball, baseball, softball, basketball, tennis, and track. Individuals may participate in leagues, tournaments, events and clinics. Specialized camps for youth participants to receive individual and group instruction of fundamentals are offered during the summer. For more information, please see the Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Program Brochure. Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources, (919) 469-4061

Zoning Violations
Any property which does not comply with the Town's zoning regulations may be in violation. If a property is determined to be in violation, notification will be sent by the Town to identify what action will be necessary in order to comply with Town Code. Examples of zoning violations include junk and abandoned vehicles, illegal signs, unauthorized home occupations, non-conforming accessory structures, buffer or setback encroachments or excessive numbers of occupants in a dwelling. To report a suspected zoning violation, call Planning at (919) 469-4082. For more information, see Zoning Compliance.