Guide to Services S

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Senior Citizen Programs
See Senior Services & Resources
See Senior Recreation
See Cary Senior Center

Sertoma Amphitheater
Located in Bond Park, Sertoma Amphitheater accommodates 300 spectators for outdoor performances and events which are held throughout the year. Cary residents may also reserve this facility. Call the Bond Park Community Center at 462-3970 for more information. Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources, 469-4061

Sewer Maintenance on Main Wastewater Lines
The Town's primary responsibility for the sewer system is to maintain unobstructed wastewater flow in the collection system. To accomplish this, the Town routinely cleans sewer lines and performs preventive maintenance and repairs. If you experience a sewer system backup or observe a clean out or sewer manhole overflowing, please notify the Town of Cary as soon as possible. Public Works & Utilities, 311 or (919) 469-4090

Sewer Stoppages
When a stoppage occurs, contact the Public Works & Utilities Department at 311 or (919) 469-4090,  weekdays from 7 a.m.-7 p.m., or (919) 469-4012 after hours and on holidays. The Town will assess the stoppage to determine if the blockage is on the Town's side of the sewer line or the homeowner's side of the sewer line. The Town of Cary will clear blockages that occur in the main sewer line or in the sewer lateral, from the main line to the clean out pipe at the edge of the property. The sewer clean out is a vertical, capped, 4" pipe that provides direct access to the sewer system. Homeowners are responsible for blockages that occur in the sewer lateral, located between the clean out pipe and the dwelling. If there is no clean out pipe at the edge of the property, the homeowner is responsible for blockages that occur anywhere in the sewer lateral. (See also Backwater Valve.) Public Works & Utilities, 311 or (919) 469-4090

Sewer Use
See Pretreatment of Wastewater

Shelter Rental
See Facility and Shelter Rental

See Chapters 9, 9A and 9B of the Land Development Ordinance

Smoke Testing
See Smoke Testing

Solid Waste Collection
See Solid Waste Collection

Speakers Bureau
Town government professionals speak by appointment at no charge to businesses, civic groups and other organizations. Call (919) 469-4000.

Special Event Planning
Are you planning a special event? Will it have impacts on traffic? Will you be putting up a sign? You may need to get a permit for your event. Call the Planning and Development Services Department for more information. If a permit is required, they will take your information and coordinate with Police, Fire or other affected departments. Planning, 311 or (919) 469-4082

Special Events
Submit a Temporary Use Permit Application

Stevens Nature Center at Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve
The Stevens Nature Center offers programs for all ages on environmental topics and natural resources related to the Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve. In addition to scheduled programs, special programs can be developed for groups by request. Beyond educational opportunities at the Stevens Nature Center, visitors may enjoy walking along more than two miles of scenic trails within the Nature Preserve or the wildflower garden featuring plants native to North Carolina. Stevens Nature Center, 387-5980; Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources, 469-4061

Street Lights
Progress Energy maintains street lights in Cary. Report outages online or call (800) 419-6356.
To request a new street light, call the Town of Cary Facilities, Design and Transportation Services Department at (919) 469-4030.

Street Maintenance
Report Potholes and other damage to Public Works & Utilities at 311 or (919) 469-4090 weekdays between 7 a.m.-7 p.m. or submit a service request. During wet winter weather months, we will work to provide a temporary cold patch to potholes on Cary-maintained streets by the next business day. Potholes on state-maintained roads in Cary will be reported to the N.C. Department of Transportation. See also Street Maintenance.

Missing or broken storm drain or manhole covers should be reported immediately. After business hours, call (919) 469-4012. Residential streets are swept every three months. Main thoroughfares are swept and ten times a year.

Storm Drains
Storm drains are most often located in the curb of streets. Materials that enter the storm drains, including litter and other pollutants, go directly to area creeks and streams and not to one of Cary's treatment facilities. Missing and broken storm drain covers or manhole covers should be reported immediately to the Public Works & Utilities Department at 311 or (919) 469-4090, Mon-Fri 7 a.m.-7 p.m. or (919) 469-4012 after hours, weekends and holidays.

Summer Camp
See Camp Information.

Surplus Equipment
See Surplus Equipment

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer