Guide to Services F-H

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Facility and Shelter Rentals
See Facility Descriptions & Reservations

Fire Ants/Quarantine for Landscaping Materials
The NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services has expanded the state quarantine area for the imported fire ant to include most of Cary. Businesses and individuals in the quarantined areas need to obtain a certificate or permit to move certain materials such as sod, soil, hay and straw, nursery plants, logs, pulpwood and soil-moving equipment before they can be moved through or to non-quarantined areas. This certificate or permit can be obtained by contacting the NC Dept of Agriculture at 733-6932.

The imported fire ants are reddish to dark brown and measure from 1/8 inch to about 1/3 inch long. They construct their homes, called mounds, in the soil. If the mound is disturbed, ants swarm out and sting the intruder. Encounters with fire ants can be expected not only outdoors but indoors as well. Fire ants prefer oily and greasy foods and may travel indoors to find food. They also feed on other insects. The objective of treating fire ants is to kill the queen, because she is the only ant in the colony capable of laying eggs. Insecticide treatment is used to eliminate fire ants in areas where the risk to people is high and to reduce infestations to acceptable levels. Always follow label directions when using any insecticide. Public Works & Utilities, 469-4090

Fire Hydrant Maintenance
See Water System and Fire Hydrant Maintenance

Flood Zone
Flood zone determination for higher risk areas is made by the Federal Emergency Management Agency to designate areas in which flood insurance is required. Water Resources, (919) 469-4030.

Garbage Pickup
See Solid Waste Collection

Government Access Channel
Cable Channel 11 is Cary's designated government access channel on Spectrum's system, cablecasting live and taped Town Council meetings, committee and board meetings and other programming about important government news and events. Programming schedules are available on the Town's website or each week in The Cary News. Public Information, 460-4951

Greenways & Trails
See Parks, Greenways and Environment

Growth Management Plan
See Cary Community Plan

Hazardous Trees
Call 311 or (919) 469-4090 to report a hazardous tree on public property.

Hazardous Waste Disposal
See Hazardous Waste Disposal

Hemlock Bluffs Nature Preserve
See Stevens Nature Center

Hillcrest Cemetery
Hillcrest is the Town’s only municipal cemetery located just a few blocks from Cary’s downtown historic district, at the south end of Page Street. The cemetery has graves that date from 1840, and in 2014, Hillcrest was designated as a historic landmark. The cemetery opens daily at 8 a.m. and closes during the fall and winter months at 6 p.m.; during the spring and summer, it’s open until 8 p.m. The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for records of interments and the Public Works Department is responsible for mowing, sodding and seasonal maintenance. Questions about the cemetery should be directed to the Town Clerk’s Office at 919-469-4011.

Historic Preservation
See Open Space and Historic Resources Plans

Home Businesses
See Home Occupations

Housing Resources
See Affordable Housing