The Walker Street Improvements Project is another example of Cary's commitment to revitalizing our downtown. This project will improve the intersection of Chatham Street and Walker Street including important pedestrian connectivity elements, aesthetic streetscape treatments, improved stormwater as well as upgraded utilities as detailed below:
- Intersection improvements include a new decorative traffic signal similar to the one at Academy and Chatham, as well as brick sidewalks, new pedestrian push buttons and ramps.
- Pedestrian connectivity elements include a new brick sidewalk along the west (Methodist Church) side of Walker Street from Chatham Street to Waldo Street and other sidewalk improvements along Walker Street.
- Aesthetic streetscape treatments include landscaping, decorative street lighting, brick pavers and burying overhead utilities including Duke, AT&T and Spectrum. Learn more.
Anticipated Construction Phasing
Businesses will remain open and we encourage patrons to use Cedar Street to access local businesses. Construction will be phased to help minimize impacts to our downtown community. Phases will include:
- Various lane closures that include one-lane traffic operations with flaggers.
- Closing Walker Street between Chatham and Waldo while detouring traffic for several (3-4) months to help expedite construction operations, including substantial utility upgrades.
- Closing the intersection of Walker and Chatham while detouring traffic for up to 10 consecutive days, depending on subsurface utility conditions.
- Follow the detour route during the closure of Walker Street.
Construction Schedule and Updates Coming Soon
Construction will begin midsummer 2019.
Bob Shultes - Project Manager