The Walker Street Improvements Project is another example of Cary's commitment to revitalizing our downtown. This project will improve the intersection of Chatham Street and Walker Street including important pedestrian connectivity elements, aesthetic streetscape treatments, improved stormwater as well as upgraded utilities as detailed below:
- Intersection improvements include a new decorative traffic signal similar to the one at Academy and Chatham, as well as brick sidewalks, new pedestrian push buttons and ramps.
- Pedestrian connectivity elements include a new brick sidewalk along the west (Methodist Church) side of Walker Street from Chatham Street to Waldo Street and other sidewalk improvements along Walker Street.
- Aesthetic streetscape treatments include landscaping, decorative street lighting, brick pavers and burying overhead utilities including Duke, AT&T and Spectrum. Learn more.
Anticipated Construction Phasing
Businesses will remain open and we encourage patrons to use Cedar Street to access local businesses. Construction will be phased to help minimize impacts to our downtown community. Phases will include:
- Various lane closures that include one-lane traffic operations with flaggers.
- Closing Walker Street between Chatham and Waldo while detouring traffic for several (3-4) months to help expedite construction operations, including substantial utility upgrades.
- Closing the intersection of Walker and Chatham while detouring traffic for up to 10 consecutive days, depending on subsurface utility conditions.
- Follow the detour route during the closure of Walker Street.
Construction Schedule Coming Soon
Construction will begin midsummer 2019.
What’s Happening Now
- AT&T, Spectrum/Time Warner Cable, Duke Energy Distribution utility lines have been relocated to underground as of mid-March 2020.
- Duke Energy completed street lights along S. Walker Street mid-April 2020 which controlled the remaining roadway work along Walker Street.
- Contractor continues to work primarily at the intersection of East Chatham Street and Walker Street to retrofit new curb, brick sidewalks and wheelchair ramps for pedestrian access.
As work continues, citizens can expect to see immediate changes that will modernize the intersection. Work is 80 percent complete as of April 2020.
Contractor is working to push to have Walker Street open between Waldo Street and E. Chatham Street by late Spring 2020.
- Water and Sewer line improvements
- Curb and gutter
- Sidewalks are complete along S. Walker St.
- Storm drainage improvements
- Utility line relocation
- Upcoming Work
Permanent Final traffic signal work
Curb, brick sidewalks and concrete sidewalks
Driveway and site restoration
Asphalt patching and asphalt resurfacing/paving at Walker St., E. Chatham St. and Waldo St.
This project will transform Walker Street at East Chatham Street into an accessible, multi-activity destination accommodating future opportunities for living, working, playing, and civic engagement in Downtown Cary. As work continues, citizens can expect to see immediate changes that will modernize the intersection. Work is 60 percent complete.
- Water line improvements
- Sewer line improvements
- Temporary traffic signals are in place
- Curb and gutter is complete at S. Walker St.
- Storm drainage improvements
- Sewer line point repairs
- Utility relocation work aerial (overhead to underground) by Duke Progress, Spectrum and AT&T.
- Traffic signal work
- Curb, brick sidewalks, and concrete sidewalks
- Driveway and site restoration
- Asphalt patching and asphalt resurfacing/paving at Walker St., E. Chatham St. and Waldo St.
Bob Shultes - Project Manager