Update: May 7, 2020
South Walker Street is open to traffic.
Minor work will continue, including utility relocation, to complete the project. Expect intermittent daytime lane closures on E. Chatham Street, Walker Street, and Waldo Street until early summer 2020.
Live Traffic Map
Get a real-time quick glance of the traffic conditions at intersections and streets within and adjacent to the project footprint. The Waze map may be used to evaluate traffic conditions within the project limits.
What's Happening Now
Late Spring/Early Summer 2020
- AT&T, Spectrum/Time Warner Cable, Duke Energy Distribution utility lines have been relocated to underground as of mid-March 2020.
- Duke Energy completed street lights along S. Walker Street mid-April 2020 which controlled the remaining roadway work along Walker Street.
- Contractor continues to work primarily at the intersection of East Chatham Street and Walker Street to retrofit new curb, brick sidewalks and wheelchair ramps for pedestrian access.
As work continues, citizens can expect to see immediate changes that will modernize the intersection. Work is 95 percent complete as of Mid-May 2020
- Duke Energy is establishing electrical service
Upcoming Work through Early Summer 2020:
- Permanent final traffic signal work
- Curb repairs, brick sidewalks, and concrete work
- Punch-list work
- Utility relocation work and wooden pole removal at the intersection of E. Chatham Street
Map of Construction Phases and Intersection Closures
Phase I (Waldo St. & Walker St. Intersection Closure): Work complete (Detour Map)
Phase II (S Walker St. Closure from E Chatham to Waldo St.): Work complete (Detour Map)
Phase III (E Chatham and Walker St. Intersection Closure): Underground work is complete including final paving and striping. Substantial completion as of May 8, 2020 (Detour Map)
- Sewer repairs and improvements
- Stormwater improvements
- Water main replacement and improvements
- Aerial utility relocation to underground for new traffic signal
- Upgraded sidewalk, curb, asphalt pavement and long life pavement markings
- New architectural decorative black painted metal traffic signal poles and equipment
To ensure safety to workers, business owners, drivers, and pedestrians during the work, the contractor will close portions of Walker St., Waldo St., and E. Chatham St. at intermittent phases during the project.
At least one travel lane through the work area will remain open during work periods.
August 19, 2019: Begin Construction
Summer to Winter 2019: Phase I – Close Walker and Waldo Street Intersection
Fall 2019 to Spring 2020: Phase II – Close Walker Street between E. Chatham and Waldo Street
Late Fall 2019 (2-week period): Phase III – Close Walker Street and E. Chatham Street Intersection
Late Spring/Early Summer 2020: Substantially Complete Project (excludes metal signal poles/equipment)
Summer 2020: Complete Architectural Decorative Traffic Signal Poles/Equipment
Winter 2020: Final Project Completion