Live Traffic Map - Waze
Get a real-time quick glance of the traffic conditions at intersections and streets within and adjacent to the project footprint. The Waze map may be used to evaluate traffic conditions within the project limits.
Map of Construction Phases
Phase I (Waldo St. & Walker St. Intersection Closure): Aug. 19-Sept 2019 (Detour Map)
Phase II (S Walker St. Closure from E Chatham to Waldo St.): Sept.-Dec. 2019 (Detour Map)
Phase III (E Chatham and Walker St. Intersection Closure): Early Dec.-Mid Dec. 2019 (Detour Map)
What’s Happening Now (August 15, 2019)The Town's contractor, Bruce Allen Construction Company, will begin construction for the Walker St. Improvements Project in Downtown Cary on Monday, August 19 weather permitting. Electronic Message Signs are in place along S. Walker St. Construction activities are expected to last through to Winter 2021.
- Sewer repairs and improvements
- Stormwater improvements
- Water main replacement and improvements
- Aerial utility relocation to underground for new traffic signal
- Upgraded sidewalk, curb, asphalt pavement and long life pavement markings
- New architectural decorative black painted metal traffic signal poles and equipment
To ensure safety to the workers, business owners, drivers and pedestrians during the work, the Contractor will close portions of Walker St., Waldo St. and E. Chatham St. at intermittent phases, during the project.
At least one-travel lane will remain open during the work periods where traffic is to be maintained through the work area.
Electronic changeable message signs will be used at the site to announce street and intersection closures in advance of the work.
Milestones and seasonal dates below, are estimated at the time of beginning construction. Schedule will be updated by Town Staff, as construction progresses.
- Public Outreach: Summer 2019
- Begin Construction: Summer 2019 (August 19, 2019)
- Phase I: Construction of Waldo St. and S. Walker St. Intersection - Summer to Fall 2019
- Phase II: Construction of S. Walker St. from E. Chatham St. to Waldo St. - Fall 2019 to Winter 2020
- Phase III: Construction of E. Chatham St. and Walker St. Intersection - Winter 2020
- Substantially Complete Project: Summer 2020
- Complete Architectural Decorative Traffic Signals: Late Fall 2020
- Final Project Completion: Winter 2021