This project provides for the design and construction of intersection improvements where there are potential congestion and safety issues. As part of the FY 2016 budget, $1 million has been appropriated to support the design and right-of-way acquisition, and as part of the FY 2017 budget, $3.25 million has been appropriated for construction of the project. These improvements will address pedestrian, bike, and vehicular safety and level of service concerns.
The following intersections have been selected for investigation:
- Chapel Hill Road from Bowden Street to Sorrell Street: Provide a center turn lane between Bowden Street, East Johnson Street and Sorrell Street
- SW Cary Parkway and Waldo Rood Boulevard: Turn lane extension and addition on north and southbound Cary Parkway and turn lane addition on eastbound Waldo Rood Boulevard
- Waldo Rood Boulevard and MacArthur Drive: Installation of a new traffic signal
- Kildaire Farm Road and Advent Court: Turn lane extension on southbound Kildaire Farm Road and turn lane addition on northbound Kildaire Farm Road
- High House Road from Carpenter Upchurch Road to Widdington Lane, including Jenks Carpenter Road: Signal installation, left turn lane addition into Whittington Lane, turn lane extension on northbound Jenks Carpenter Road, and pedestrian improvement
SEPI Engineering & Construction, Inc. has been hired to perform the initial data collection and engineering design.
The Kildaire Farm Road and Ten-Ten Road intersection was on the initial list of selected improvements for this project. Improvements at this intersection will now be incorporated into an upcoming North Carolina Department of Transportation project along Ten-Ten Road.
NCDOT has completed construction of the left turn lane extension at Davis Drive and Waldo Rood Boulevard. This improvement was jointly funded with the NCDOT.
Improvements to the five remaining intersections are currently under design. Right-of-way plans have recently been completed in preparation for real estate negotiations which are expected to start in Spring 2019.
Final designs are anticipated to be completed by Spring 2019 with construction anticipated to start in Spring 2020 pending right of way and easement acquisition.
A traffic analysis report has been completed. The recommended list of intersections and improvements were approved for further investigation at the July 14, 2016 Town Council meeting. A public meeting was held on August 29, 2016. Concept plans of each location were available to review and project team members were on hand to discuss the project. The final concept maps and scope of the recommended improvements were approved by Town Council during the December 8, 2016 council meeting.
Final Concept Maps
- Chapel Hill Road
- Kildaire Farm and Advent
- Cary Parkway and Waldo Rood
- Waldo Rood and MacArthur
- High House Road
Fall 2018: Right of Way and Utility Plans Complete
Winter 2018 to Fall 2019: Right of Way Acquisition
Spring 2019: Final Plans Complete
Fall 2019: Construction Advertisement
Helpful LinksJuly 14, 2016 Town Council Meeting Minutes
November 10, 2016 Town Council Meeting Minutes
December 8, 2016 Town Council Meeting Minutes
Amir Nezarati, PE
Transportation & Facilities Department
Town of Cary