The project with William Peace University (WPU) and the Town of Cary for improvements at WakeMed Soccer Park is in the design development phase.
Project Background & Scope
WPU, located in downtown Raleigh, have been renting field space from the Town of Cary for over 10 years for soccer and baseball teams to practice and play games. They recently approached Cary about formally designating WakeMed Soccer Park as their home field for their men’s and women’s soccer and lacrosse teams and receive priority in scheduling. In return, they are investing over $1.5 million in improvements to fields 4 and 5, including:
- Field lighting for field 4
- Scoreboards for both fields
- PA system to make announcements and pregame music for each field
- 500-seat bleachers overlooking each field
- A score/scout/announcer/media elevated space that will overlook both fields
- Multi-purpose building with locker/changing rooms for two teams that will have easy field access to both fields
- Storage rooms for WPU and Cary
Project Cost & Schedule
Under the terms of the agreement with WPU, the Town of Cary received $200,000 of design funding for the capital project at WakeMed Soccer Park. Upon completion of design work, WPU and the Town of Cary will finalize the scope of construction, and WPU will provide Cary with additional money for the cost of construction, totaling between $1,400,000 and $1,800,000, that will also be appropriated to the same capital project. Anticipated completion of project design is summer 2021. Timing of construction is to be determined.
Sports Venues Manager
Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources