Update: On October 22, 2020, Town Council adopted the PRCR Master Plan addendum. Please reference the below map for the latest update to the plan:
The Town of Cary is pursuing an update to the Town’s Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources (PRCR) Master Plan to address the Chatham-Cary Joint Land Use Plan area. The current PRCR Master Plan was adopted on November 13, 2012 and provides detailed recommendations on new parks and open space, community centers, greenways and cultural arts facilities for the Town. This comprehensive planning has been essential to qualifying the Town as a nationally accredited park system.
The Chatham-Cary Joint Land Use Plan, an official policy document adopted by the Chatham County Board of Commissioners as well as the Cary Town Council, included as an implementation step the additional study and planning for parks and greenways within the joint planning area located in the Chatham County area east of Jordan Lake. The PRCR Master Plan Update project will address that implementation step.
The PRCR Master Plan Update will primarily address the area located between the rural buffer boundary and the American Tobacco Trail (see map). The plan will include study and analysis of existing and potential land uses and will make recommendations for the locations of future parks, greenways, and open space facilities. Public involvement will be important during development of the plan; the first public meeting was held this past fall. Ultimately, a narrative report as well as maps locating proposed facilities will be presented to the Cary Town Council and the Chatham Board of Commissioners for review, and will be incorporated into the existing 2012 Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Master Plan upon adoption by the Town Council.
- Chatham County Recreation Advisory Board Meeting: May 2016
- Town of Cary Greenways Committee Meeting: May 2016
- Town of Cary PRCR Advisory Board Meeting: June 2016
- Public Meeting Open House: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 from 4:00 – 7:00 pm in the gymnasium at Mills Park Elementary School, 509 Mills Park Drive, Cary, NC 27519
- Public Meeting Open House: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 from 4:00 - 7:00 pm at Cary Fire Station #8, 408 Mills Park Drive, Cary, NC 27519
- Public Hearing Process Began: Summer/Fall 2019
- Council Adoption Process anticipated to be completed in 2020
Transportation & Facilities Department
Town of Cary