Join Us! Downtown Cary Park Presentation
November 27, 2018 | 6 p.m.
Cary Town Hall/Council Chambers
316 N. Academy Street, Cary
Get the First Look at the Future of Downtown Park!
Join us at Town Hall to see the exciting ideas we have for a world-class park in Downtown Cary. We’ll discuss key takeaways from the public workshop this summer and present alternative designs and features for the park. The meeting will end with an open house where you’ll have the opportunity to give feedback on the presentation and speak directly with the Office of James Burnett design team. We look forward to seeing you there!
Recap of July 2018 Community Workshop
The public enjoyed an interactive evening sharing their vision during the kick off of Phase II citizen input workshop. With the guidance and feedback taken from the workshop, we’ll make this an extraordinary destination — the soul of Cary and a reflection of you.
The Phase II survey is closed, and we thank the Cary community for providing more than 1,200 responses during the 6-week survey period.
Project Update: Summer 2018
The Town of Cary has hired the Office of James Burnett (OJB Landscape Architecture), an award-winning landscape architecture firm with national urban parks and development experience. Their past project experience includes Klyde Warren Park, Dallas TX, Levy Park in Houston TX, and LeBaur Park, Greensboro, NC. The Town is currently working with the OJB team on the project schedule. Their consultant team includes:
- Machado Silvetti: Architecture
- Biederman Redevelopment Ventures: Urban Planning, Program and Operational Management; past work includes Bryant Park in New York, NY
- Cumming: Local project and cost management for cost estimation.
- Fountain Source: Water Feature Consultant
- WithersRavenel: Local Civil Consultant
- Shore Art Advisory: Art curation for opportunities for art in the park.
Public workshops will be held as part of this project. Check back for opportunities or sign up for email alerts.
With the approval of the 2012 Community Bonds, an initial master plan for the Downtown Park was completed. As defined by the master plan, the Downtown Park was recommended to be a signature seven-acre park defined by South Academy Street, East Park Street and Walker Street along its eastern border. The town completed the first phase of the park in March of 2017, featuring a large fountain, outdoor performance space, an outdoor games room and open lawn areas. See the Downtown Park Plan and the Downtown Park webpage for more information. With the Town Square approximately one acre in size, this left six acres remaining for Phase 2 of the park.
- 2001: Town Council approved the Town Center Area Plan including a proposal for a Town Center Park as the visual and cultural focal point for downtown. The park serves the higher-density development, nearby neighborhoods, and providing opportunities for special cultural and community events.
- July 2013: Council adopted the Downtown Park Master Plan and design of Town Square begins.
- February 2014: Council establishes that the Park will be 7 acres. With that decision, development opportunities around Walnut/Walker and Park/Walker were identified.
- September 2014: The town square design plans are 65% complete. Council requests an updated master plan of the downtown park to know the direction of the remainder of the downtown park as a whole that includes future phases and estimates for inclusion in future budgets.
- August 2015: The Cary Regional Library and Parking Deck locations are established on the park block adjacent to the town square and Cary Arts. Council expresses interest in having the Deck ‘wrapped.’ There was no developer interest at that time for development.
- June-October 2016: Construction on Academy Street improvements and Town Square of the Park begin.
- September 2016: Council approved the Library and Parking deck design and its relationship the town square. Staff was tasked to create a process that would promote the downtown park as a remarkable destination for visitors and citizens alike.
- January-March 2017: Town Square and Academy Street improvements are complete
- May 2018: Construction of Cary Regional Library and the Park deck begins.
- May 2018: Council approves the selection of OJB Landscape Architecture for the updated Master Plan of the park.
- July 2018: Town holds Community Workshop to gather input from citizens. Survey posted online.
Director - Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources
Town of Cary