NW Cary Parkway between, Evans Road and N. Harrison Avenue, was constructed through various private land development projects between 1986 and 1990. The parkway and bridge were constructed as a two-lane street with right of way dedicated to support a future four lane, median divided thoroughfare.
The purpose of the overall NW Cary Parkway Project is to have NCDOT take over maintenance of NW Cary Parkway, including the bridge over Black Creek, from Evans Road to N. Harrison Avenue. The NW Cary Parkway street improvements portion of this project was completed during the Summer/Fall of 2017.
The NW Cary Parkway Bridge Rehabilitation Project provides for replacing the settlement in the bridge approach slabs, addressing storm water needs, and other maintenance repairs. The approach slab replacement will provide for a smoother ride across the bridge.
Once the NW Cary Parkway Bridge project is complete, Cary will request that NCDOT accept NW Cary Parkway from Evans Road to N. Harrison Avenue into their system for maintenance and upon acceptance, NCDOT will be responsible for maintaining the entire length of Cary Parkway from N. Harrison Avenue to Holly Springs Road, including the subject bridge.
What to Expect
Construction on the bridge began in Spring 2018. The construction sequence includes a planned 60-day road closure at the bridge to allow for bridge jacking for bearing replacement and the approach slab replacement. The contract documents require the closure to occur during the summer vacation for Cary Academy, one of the largest contributors to peak hour traffic on this section of street. During the planned closure, traffic will use the detour on N. Harrison Avenue, Weston Parkway and Norwell Blvd.
- The public will be able to utilize detours for the road and greenway throughout each closure duration.
- Work may be performed during the following hours: Monday-Friday 7 a.m.- 6 p.m.
- Observe all signs and flagger's directions.
- Contractor has 24 hours after completion of work for final cleanup.
- Rain or unforeseeable conditions may delay work one or two weeks.
- We will endeavor to complete this work with a minimum of inconvenience to you. Your cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated.
- Any damage to the greenway trail will be repaired before the end of the project.
- Closing of NW Cary Parkway with a detour from Norwell Blvd. to N. Harrison Avenue.
- NW Cary Parkway Bridge Rehabilitation Project
During the times we will be completely closing NW Cary Parkway to one-way traffic, the traffic will be detoured around Norwell Blvd., Weston Parkway, and N. Harrison Ave. (See attached maps) There will be message boards, arrow boards and flaggers that will assist with the either the lane closures and/or detours.
Project Cost and Schedule
A total of $2.8M has been appropriated to date to the ST1230 Cary Parkway - Evans to North Harrison capital project. Expenditures to date total $1.7M for the roadway portion of the project leaving approximately $1.1M to complete the bridge rehabilitation.
- Begin construction in Spring 2018.
- Bridge to close late June 2018 - Mid August 2018.
- Black Creek Greenway will have intermittent closures from early May 2018 - late August 2018.
- Construction to be completed Fall 2018.
- Coordinate construction and associated maintenance take over with NCDOT.
Sammy Wood, PE