On January 25, 2018, the Town Council approved the rezoning of approximately 92 acres on the north side of Cary Towne Boulevard between I-40 and Adams Elementary School from Office-Institutional (OI) and Resource Recreation (RR) to Mixed Use District (MXD). The new zoning included a Preliminary Development Plan (PDP) for a proposed mixed use development named “Fenton.”
The PDP includes vertically mixed uses designed around an ‘L-shaped’ main street where residential and/or office uses are located on top of ground-floor retail tenants. The PDP layout generally consists of a grid-like pattern of streets and provides a variety of pedestrian corridors. The plan includes eight parking decks, with many of the buildings wrapping around and screening the decks. Several office buildings and one or more hotels are also included as part of the project. Six community gathering areas are also integrated into the development to provide both passive and active opportunities for residents and visitors.
One of the zoning conditions is that a Development Agreement must be approved prior to development plans being reviewed and approved for the site. The Town and Developer have worked together to prepare a draft Development Agreement, and the Town Council will hold a Public Hearing on the Agreement on Thursday, October 25, 2018.
Actions to Date
- Nov. 10, 2016: Adoption of 16-CPA-06 Eastern Cary Gateway SPA
- January 24, 1017: Adoption of Imagine Cary Community Plan
- April 26, 2017: Initial Submittal of Eastern Cary Gateway Mixed Use Development District Rezoning (renamed “Fenton”)
- July 12, 2017: Neighborhood Meeting
- Nov. 2, 2017: Town Council Public Hearing
- Nov. 16, 2017: Town Council Public Hearing
Jan. 25, 2018: Town Council Meeting (Rezoning Approval)