Project Update: December 6, 2019
The Cary Town Council will be considering the rezoning for final action on December 12, 2019 at 6:30 p.m. at Cary Town Hall located at 316 North Academy Street, Cary, NC (agenda will be posted approximately one week prior to the meeting on the Town of Cary’s website).
Please note that the those who wish to speak to the Council regarding the Cary Towne Center rezoning may do so during the “Public Speaks Out” section of the agenda. During Public Speaks Out, each speaker will have up to three minutes to address the Council.
If the rezoning is approved by the Town Council, the developer or property owner must submit and obtain approval for a Development Plan for the subject property prior to commencing construction of infrastructure or submitting requests for building permits.
The Town of Cary has received a request to rezone 87 acres at the Cary Towne Center Mall site from a combination of General Commercial-Conditional Use (GC-CU) and Mixed Use District (MXD) to all Mixed Use District (MXD). The site is generally located at the intersections of Cary Towne Boulevard, SE Maynard Road and Walnut Street. The proposal originally did not include the 11.3 acre Dillard’s site, which includes their building and parking lot. On June 28, 2019 the application was updated and now includes the Dillard’s property (1105 Walnut Street).
The rezoning is accompanied by a Preliminary Development Plan (PDP) that would facilitate redevelopment of the existing site. The PDP proposes to introduce a network of internal streets, forming a grid-like pattern for access and circulation. The proposed development program includes up to a maximum of 1,200,000 SF of office, 360,000 SF of commercial, 1,800 multi-family/townhouse units, and 450 hotel rooms.
Actions to Date
- April 15, 2019: Rezoning Application Submitted
- April 18, 2019: Rezoning Application Accepted
- June 5, 2019: Neighborhood Meeting
- June 28, 2019: Application updated to include Dillard’s property (1105 Walnut Street)
- August 15, 2019: Town Council Public Hearing - view the Staff Report here
- August 29, 2019: Town Council Work Session
- November 12, 2019: Planning and Zoning Board Work Session
- November 18, 2019: Planning and Zoning Board Regular Meeting - view the Staff Report here (the Board found the rezoning to be consistent with the Imagine Cary Community Plan by a vote of 8-0)
- December 12, 2019: Town Council Meeting for Final Action