On December 12, 2019 the Cary Town Council voted to approve the rezoning for the Cary Towne Center Mall (19-REZ-11). The rezoning proposes to redevelop the 87-acre mall site into a mixed use project.
The rezoning is accompanied by a Preliminary Development Plan (PDP) that would facilitate redevelopment of the existing site. The PDP proposes to introduce a network of internal streets, forming a grid-like pattern for access and circulation. The proposed development program includes up to a maximum of 1,200,000 SF of office, 360,000 SF of commercial, 1,800 multi-family/townhouse units, and 450 hotel rooms.
Project Update: Cary is evaluating the current and future needs for new and upgraded indoor recreation facilities throughout the community. In January 2020, Cary responded to Wake County’s Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for the Wake County Hospitality Tax Grant to help pay for the new multi-purpose indoor sports center. This project would be a part of the larger Cary Towne Center mixed use redevelopment.
For more information visit the Town of Cary’s Indoor Recreation Needs Assessment page.
Actions to Date
- April 15, 2019: Rezoning Application Submitted
- April 18, 2019: Rezoning Application Accepted
- June 5, 2019: Neighborhood Meeting
- June 28, 2019: Application updated to include Dillard’s property (1105 Walnut Street)
- August 15, 2019: Town Council Public Hearing - view the Staff Report here
- August 29, 2019: Town Council Work Session
- November 12, 2019: Planning and Zoning Board Work Session
- November 18, 2019: Planning and Zoning Board Regular Meeting - view the Staff Report here (the Board found the rezoning to be consistent with the Imagine Cary Community Plan by a vote of 8-0)
- December 12, 2019: Rezoning Approved by Town Council