Winter Weather Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

This page provides the latest on Town government operations during each instance of severe winter weather. Reserve 911 for imminent threats to people or property; call (919) 469-4012 to report non-emergencies.

When two or more inches of snow are predicted, yard waste will not be collected during the weather event. Please bring rollout carts to the curb after snowstorms, hurricanes or other weather emergencies. This helps keep collectors safe and prevents carts from damaging back yards. If you are physically unable to take garbage to the curb, call 311 or (919) 469-4090 ahead of time.

Check news releases for the latest information during bad weather.

Reporting Outages

Report power outages to Duke Energy Progress anytime at 1-800-419-6356, or Apex Electric at (919) 362-8676 during normal business hours, (919) 362-8661 after hours. If someone in your neighborhood doesn't call, your area may not be on the repair list.

Power Line Damage on Private Property

Contact Duke Energy Progress if a line is down between the utility pole and where the line is attached to the house (weatherhead).

The property owner is responsible for line or equipment (mast and/or meter) damage from the point of attachment (weatherhead) to anywhere on the house. Call the Town's Inspections & Permits Department at (919) 469-4043 for the electrical permit and inspections that are required before Duke Energy Progress restores power.

When an emergency electrical connection is needed after normal business hours, a licensed electrician may make the connection before obtaining the required permit and inspection. Inspections & Permits should be contacted at the beginning of the next business day.

Carbon Monoxide

Provide adequate ventilation for heat sources using fossil fuels. Never use grills inside home or garage. Get more information.


For street plowing, downed power lines, water main repair, sewer stoppages, etc.
311 or (919) 469-4090

GoCary fixed route and door-to-door transit services will run as scheduled for as long as doing so is considered safe. Riders are encouraged to call GoCary directly at (919) 481-2020 for updates.

For updates on Town recreation and cultural resources programming and events, call the facility in advance.

School closings and delays
Wake County Public School System or (919) 850-1600
Chatham County Public School System or (919) 542-3626

Telephone and Cable TV service
Spectrum (866) 489-2669
AT&T Uverse (800) 288-2020

Storm Preparation Tips

Snowstorm and Extreme Cold info from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
Winter Storm Fact Sheets (FEMA)
Information in Spanish (FEMA)

Other Resources

ReadyNC App
American Red Cross (Eastern NC Chapter)
National Weather Service
Wake County Emergency Shelters
Chatham County Emergency Shelters
Raleigh-Durham International Airport