An accurate Census count is important in many ways - from securing federal funding at the state level to ensuing local officials and businesses have the information necessary to make informed development and employment decisions. Cary has partnered with Wake County and other Wake municipalities to help ensure a complete count in 2020. Visit Wake County's Census 2020 site to learn more about why the Census is important for Cary, Wake County, and North Carolina.
Why is it important to participate in the 2020 Census?
- Census counts determine how more than $675 billion in federal funding is distributed
- Population determines how many seats each state gets in Congress
- An accurate count helps state and local officials determine boundaries for congressional districts, state legislative districts, and school districts
- State and local governments use population information to help plan and allocate funding for schools and other public facilities, transportation projects, emergency services, and other projects and amenities
- Businesses use demographics to decide where to locate
How do I participate in the 2020 Census?
- For the first time, the Census Bureau will offer three ways to participate in the Census.