POLICY STATEMENT 169
SKATE PARK OPERATIONS
Prepared by: Dwayne Jones, Recreation Manager, PRCR
Adopted by Council: 12/13/2012
To provide an official policy for the operation of the Skate Park; a public recreation facility designed to serve Cary residents and surrounding area in a variety of extreme sports pursuits.
This policy, upon adoption by the Town Council, shall be applicable to the operation and use of space at the Skate Park (“facility”) until such time that the policy statement is altered, modified, or rescinded by the Town Council.
The Town Council of the Town of Cary hereby establishes the following policy:
1. Facility: The Skate Park consists of extreme sports ramps/elements; a Pro Shop with merchandise and concessions; rest-rooms and associated parking. The ramps and elements are designed to provide extreme sport activities, events and programs.
2. Facility Usage: The following priority shall be established for scheduling functions at the facility.
a. Town Sponsored program and activities;
b. Programs and activities co-sponsored by the Town and other approved sponsors;
c. Activities and events for private functions held by individuals and groups who are residents of the Town of Cary;
d. Activities and events for private functions held by individuals and groups who are not residents of the Town of Cary.
3. General Hours of Operation: The Skate Park shall be available for use during times as established in the Town of Cary Standard Procedure “Skate Park Use”. The Department Director or his/her designee shall reserve the right to alter the hours of operation due to weather or for the health and safety of the public or employees.
a. Reservations for use of the facility shall be made as outlined in Standard Procedure “Skate Park Use”.
b. Town sponsored and co-sponsored reservations may be made at any time.
c. The person making the application to reserve the facility must be at least 21 years of age and must assure adequate supervision when using the facility.
d. Police security and/or general liability insurance may be required (at the user’s expense) as determined by the Department Director or designee.
e. The Department Director, or designee, reserves the right to make cancellations at any time. Cancellation notices will be issued as far in advance as possible. All reservations/damage deposits and usage fees will be returned in full if cancellation is initiated by the Department.
f. Cancellation may be initiated by the party making the reservation up to thirty (30) days prior to scheduled use without liability. All cancellation notices must be submitted in writing to the facility supervisor. Cancellations made within 30 days of the scheduled use will result in forfeiture of reservation/damage deposit.
g. No cancellations will be accepted within five (5) working days of scheduled usage. Party making a cancellation within five (5) working days of usage will be liable for payment of rental fees and other charges in full.
5. General Rules of Use for the Skate Park:
a. An employee shall be on duty in the facility during all hours of operation or whenever the facility is open to the public.
b. All users of the facility shall complete any and all required waivers, releases or other forms pertaining to use of the facility prior to using the course.
c. The following shall be prohibited within or on the premises of the facility.
(1) Smoking (smoking is permitted in designated areas outside the facility as permitted by law);
(2) All illegal drugs and other substances;
(3) Weapons of all kinds except law enforcement officers in the execution of their duties and public demonstrations as approved by the Department Director or designee;
(4) Animals of any kind except those serving the needs of the handicapped and those used in public demonstrations or programs as approved by the Department Director or designee;
(5) Possession and consumption of liquor and alcoholic beverages;
(6) Any type of behavior that is detrimental to the normal operation of the facility of the safety of the public or employees.
d. Food and beverages are permitted only in designated areas.
e. Persons or groups using the facility shall be responsible for the breakage, loss, or damage to the facility and equipment and shall bear the full replacement cost for such breakage, loss, or damage.
f. Persons or groups using the facility shall be responsible for any personal items brought into the facility and shall remove same at the end of each scheduled use time and shall return any Town owned equipment to its designated place within the facility as directed by the facility supervisor.
g. The facility shall be open to persons who are upon the premise for specific programs, activities, functions or other official Town business.
h. Persons or groups violating any of the rules are subject to suspension from the facility and prosecution in the event of a law enforcement violation as provided in the Code of Ordinances of the Town of Cary.
i. Proper attire is required.
(1) Shirt and shoes must be worn at all times.
(2) Safety equipment is required as follows:
Skateboard – Helmet, elbow and knee pads;
Bike – Helmet and knee pads;
In-line Skates – Helmet, knee pads and wrist guards.
j. The Department Director, or designee, may implement any other action deemed necessary to protect the health and welfare of the public, employees and the facility.
6. Sale of goods
a. The Town shall have the option to operate concessions for the sale of goods, food, and beverages. Any or all of these operations may be contracted out to a business or private individual.
a. Town staff may work with outside vendors to provide the sale of goods and/or services related to events for the duration of events held on the premises subject to agreement.
b. No other vendors may provide and/or sell goods and/or services at facility without prior written approval from the Director or designee.
7. Provision for services
a. Town staff shall provide varying levels and types of instruction to the public.
b. The Town shall offer a variety of programs including camps/clinics, group/private lessons, events and open activities.
c. Provision of services that are not Town sponsored or cosponsored requires prior written approval from the Director or designee.
8. Fees shall be those as adopted by the Cary Town Council in the annual budget.