To be eligible for appointment to a board; a person must be:
- 18 years of age or older
- A Cary resident for the duration of the appointment term, unless otherwise expressly provided by law or ordinance, and must file an application on a form provided by the town clerk. A residential address must be provided on the application. Owning a business in Cary does not fulfill this requirement.
All appointees are subject to the Town Council’s Ethics and Conflicts of Interest Guidelines for Town Advisory Boards and Commissions.
Current town employees shall not be eligible to serve on Town Boards or Commissions.
Time commitment varies depending on the board. Most boards meet once a month for one to three hours, with some additional preparatory work required. Although recognizing and appreciating the fact that members of the boards are generally citizen volunteers, the town council deems it essential that members of all town boards attend meetings regularly for the prompt and efficient transaction of town affairs. (Sec. 2-166)
Unless otherwise directed, no person shall serve on more than one board at the same time.
The recruitment period for board appointments takes place annually from
May 1 - June 30 June 1 – July 31. (The 2020 recruitment period was delayed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.) To be considered for an appointment, an application must be submitted during the recruitment period. You can submit your application online from the Boards, Commissions & Committees page.
If you have questions regarding your application, you may call the Clerk’s Office at 919-469-4011.
- Once recruitment closes on
June 30July 31, all applications on file are compiled and provided to Council for consideration.
- During July and August, council liaisons review the recommendations and finalize their list of interviewees based on the skill sets needed for the board.
- In September and after interviews have occurred, the council liaison will submit their finalized list of appointments.
- Council will vote on the final appointments at a regularly scheduled council meeting in September and those appointed will begin terms on October 1.
All information provided in the application becomes public information and is therefore subject to public records requests.
If you are not initially appointed to a board for which you have applied, your application will be filed with the Clerk’s Office and will remain active for one year. The applications on file may be considered when vacancies arise during the board year. Citizens must reapply to be considered for the following board year.
Yes, there are several other volunteer opportunities within the Town! Citizens are encouraged to sign up for email updates to be notified when opportunities become available.
The Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources (PRCR) Advisory Board has three subcommittees. These committees advise the PRCR board on a range of topics.
Additional opportunities include:
- Festivals Committee
Recruitment Period: November/December
- Koka Booth Amphitheatre Advisory Committee
Recruitment Period: February/March
- The Cary Theater Programming Advisory Committee
Recruitment Period: April/May
Applying for a Wake County Citizen Advisory Board or Commission is another great way to contribute to your community.