Intersection Improvements Project
On October 8, 2019, Cary citizens approved moving forward with several transportation and parks related projects as part of the 2019 Shaping Cary’s Tomorrow 2019 Bond Referendum including $5M for our Intersection Improvement Program.
The purpose of this program is to identify and help address intersections that experience higher levels of congestion or safety related concerns. Potential improvements could include turn lane improvements as well as upgrades to pedestrian signals, crosswalks and ramps.
Staff has identified several intersections to be included in the FY2020 Intersection Improvements Project and we are moving forward to implement associated operational and safety improvements.
The intersection locations are listed below:
- Walnut Street and South Walker Street
- Walnut Street and Kildaire Farm Road
- NC 55 and High House Road
- Tryon Road and Walnut Street (pedestrian improvements)
- Tryon Road and Kildaire Farm Road (pedestrian improvements)
- Weston Parkway and Evans Road (pedestrian improvements)
Winter 2019 to Spring 2020 – Procurement of Professional Services
Summer 2020 – Survey intersections, perform traffic and pedestrian assessments and functional designs.
Design 2020 - 2021
Right of Way Acquisition 2021 - 2022
Begin Construction 2022 - 2023
Kyle Hubert, PE
Transportation & Facilities Department
Town of Cary