In observance of Thanksgiving, several Cary services will be unavailable or modified on Thursday & Friday, November 26 & 27. Facilities will remain closed, and curbside collection for Thursday will move one day later to Friday. GoCary will not operate on Thursday, but will resume normal operation schedule on Friday, November 27. Read more.


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Aerial Photography & Topographic Maps

The Transportation & Facilities Department has aerial photo maps with topography overlay. Maps are black and white. Most are 100 scale with 2 foot interval contour lines. The maps were created in March 1988. Recent color aerial photos in digital format are also available.

Record Drawings

Record drawings are available for sites and subdivisions; however, the Town did not require record drawings to be submitted before 1988. Any site or subdivision constructed before 1988 will not have record drawings on file.

Bids for Construction Projects

The Transportation & Facilities Department Bids for Construction Projects are advertised on the North Carolina Interactive Purchasing System (IPS). Access Cary's listings by scrolling down to and selecting NON STATE - Town of Cary.


An easement is a legal interest in property for a specific purpose, such as giving a company access to run a telephone line underground. Utility easements that are dedicated to the Town of Cary cover water and/or sanitary sewer lines and are typically 20 feet wide. After the easement is granted, the property owner continues to maintain the easement just like the rest of the yard. Ground covers or grasses may be planted within an easement.

No trees or shrubbery of any size shall be placed within any Town utility easement because of the need for access by utility maintainers and line damage that tree and shrub roots can cause. Fences and landscaping improvements installed within the easement are subject to disturbance or damage during the Town's use of the easement and may be removed if the Town needs access for maintenance or utility line repair. Please send questions concerning easement locations or improvements to the Public Works and Utilities Department at (919) 469-4090.

Flood Zone

Flood zone determination for higher risk areas is made by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) The purpose of this determination is to designate areas in which flood insurance is required. For flood zone information, please email Billy E. Lee, Stormwater Engineering Manager, or call (919) 462-3932.

Office Hours and Location

The Transportation & Facilities Department offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday; however, a few staff are in the office from 7 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. Our office is located at 316 North Academy Street.


To request street repairs or report a pothole, visit our service request portal. See which roads are maintained by the Town.

Roadway Widening

The North Carolina Department of Transportation and the Town of Cary have identified roadways that are expected to require widening in the future. A Thoroughfare Plan map displays these roadways and their expected width. As development occurs along these roadways, widening of the roadway adjacent to the section developed is generally required. Although the Thoroughfare Plan shows which streets are proposed for widening, it does not mandate the timing of the proposed improvement. The Transportation and Facilities Department, in coordination with the North Carolina Department of Transportation, performs design services and develops contract plans for various roadway widening projects throughout the Town.

Sidewalk Installation

To request a sidewalk along a street, email Luana Deans, Transportation Planning Engineer, or call (919) 467-1533. Each year, the Transportation & Facilities Department establishes a priority list from requests that have been made. Items including proximity to schools, parks, shopping centers, and greenways as well as current pedestrian use (worn path) are used to establish the priority list.

Sight Distance

The Town has regulations regarding sight distance lines along streets and at all intersections and commercial drive entrances. These sight distance lines also govern left turn traffic movements in median-divided roadways such as Cary Parkway. Motorists should have an unobstructed line of sight along streets and at each intersection. Sight distances are generally based on the design speed of the roadway. Intersections that are felt to be in non-compliance should be brought to the attention of the Transportation & Facilities Department.  The Town will correct obstructions in the street right-of-way and will rely on property owners to correct obstructions on private property.

Street Light Installation

Town of Cary Policy No. 13 requires that street lights in residential areas be placed at all intersections, at the 'neck' of cul-de-sacs over 200 feet long, and every 400 to 600 feet. To request installation of additional street lighting in areas not meeting this standard, email Kyle Hubert, Transportation Engineer or call him at (919) 462-3938.

Street Light Outages

Duke Energy Progress maintains most of the street lights in Cary. Report a street light outage or malfunction online, or call the Duke Energy Progress customer service center at (919) 508-5400 with the location or the number on the light pole.

What Information to Provide for Street Light Outages

Where is the light? It's most helpful to have the street lights pole number or "DIS" number which is located on a yellow sign on the street side of the pole about five feet off the ground. You can also count the number of lights between the bad light and an obvious landmark, such as an intersection or building. Some light locations can be described by the address of the building behind the light.

What is the light doing? If it goes out as a car approaches, or if it does not work from dusk to dawn, the light's photo sensor may need to be adjusted. If the light "cycles" between on an off, the bulb may be going bad. This information is useful when contacting Duke Energy Progress because these lights may be working when crews arrive.

How many lights are out? A single light out usually requires a simple repair that typically can be made the next working day. Multiple lights out usually indicate damage to underground power lines which usually require a few days to repair since excavation is generally required. This is common in areas of active construction.

How long does it take to fix street lights? Duke Energy Progress crews make simple repairs the next working day after a street light outage is reported. Underground line repairs require more time.

Upgraded Street Lighting

A Homeowner’s Association (HOA) may request to upgrade their existing standard street light system and have the Town reimburse the HOA in an amount equal to the monthly cost of the standard street lighting provided:

  • The Home Owner’s Association (HOA) requests an upgraded street lighting plan from the utility company.
  • The Town reviews the upgraded street lighting plan to ensure it meets Town standards.
  • The HOA may request additional street lighting at their expense.
  • The HOA pays all costs associated with removal of existing street lighting and installation of the upgraded street light system.
  • The HOA pays the utility company for the monthly street light bill.
  • The HOA executes a reimbursement contract with the Town.
  • The Town reimburses the HOA semiannually.

For more information on upgraded street lighting options and associated costs, visit Duke Energy Progress' Web site. To request upgrading a standard street light system, you can email Kyle Hubert, Transportation Engineer, or call (919) 462-3938.

Street Repaving

The Transportation & Facilities Department bases repaving priorities on an annual street rating. For street repaving information, please e-mail Kyle Hubert, or call (919) 462-3938. For street repairs, contact the Public Works and Utilities Department at (919) 469-4090. See which roads are maintained by the Town.

Thoroughfare Plan Maps

Town of Cary and NCDOT thoroughfare plan maps within Cary's jurisdiction are available in the Comprehensive Transportation Plan.

Traffic Signalization Projects

The Town of Cary annually receives many requests to install traffic signals. These requests come from citizens, developers, governmental officials, and others, usually in an effort to provide an added measure of safety or an increased level of service at an intersection. For these reasons, the Cary Town Council has annually budgeted funds to be used for the installation of new traffic signals and the upgrades of existing traffic signals.

Requirements for a New Signal

To justify the installation of a new signal or a modification of an existing signal, a location must meet certain criteria, or warrants. The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) is a traffic control guide written by the United States Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration and is the standard reference for signs, signals, markings and other traffic control devices. The MUTCD lists 9 different warrants for a traffic signal installation. At least one of these warrants must be met to justify the installation of a traffic signal. It must be pointed out that meeting warrants is a minimum requirement. An engineering study must also be conducted to determine whether a traffic signal is needed. A traffic signal will not, however, be installed if no warrants are met. Traffic signals do not always prevent collisions. In many instances, the frequency of rear-end and sideswipe type collisions will increase when signals are installed, while right angle and left turning type collisions usually decrease. Development drives the need to install and/or modify traffic signals on many occasions. Where this occurs, the Town sometimes requires developers to fund and install these signals.

Warrant #1 – Eight-Hour Vehicular Volume
Warrant #2 – Four-Hour Vehicular Volume
Warrant #3 – Peak Hour
Warrant #4 – Pedestrian Volume
Warrant #5 – School Crossing
Warrant #6 – Coordinated Signal System
Warrant #7 – Crash Experience
Warrant #8 – Roadway Network
Warrant #9 – Intersection Near a Grade Crossing

Requesting a Traffic Signal
See the Traffic Signals page.

Maintenance of Traffic Signals
See the Traffic Signals page.

Utility Maps

Utility maps with line sizes, manhole locations, pump stations, and fire hydrant locations are available to be viewed or obtained from the Water Resources Department page.