Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How do I find the zoning designation of my property?

There are a few ways to obtain your zoning information. If you have the address or 10 digit Parcel Identification Number (PIN), you can go to Cary’s Property Research Map and type in the address or PIN in the search box.  You will want to ensure that the Zoning layer is turned on in the layer menu in the menu bar on the top right of corner of the map.

If you do not have the address or Parcel Identification Number (PIN), you can search by clicking on the maps and zoom in/out or scroll the map until you find the property.

Why does my zoning designation have the letter “P” at the end?

If you have looked up your zoning designation in the Wake County records, you may have a “P” following your zoning district (i.e. TRP or R-8P). The “P” refers to properties located within a Planned Development District (PDD) or in the Town Center (TCP). The actual zoning for the property is PDD or TC but since a PDD or TC parcel can contain a mixture of uses or lot sizes and dimensions, the property appraiser assigns it a tax equivalent zoning (i.e. TRP or R-8P) to provide direction on how to fairly tax the property based on an equivalent use of the land.

For more information on PDD and TC properties, please feel free to use Cary’s Property Research Map to find the parcel-specific zoning.  Specific PDD documents, including Master Plans can be downloaded by visiting Planned Development Districts.  

Why does my zoning designation have the letters “CU” at the end?

If your zoning designation has the letters “CU” following the zoning district (i.e. TRCU or R-8CU). The “CU” refers to a Conditional Use zoning district, or zoning conditions tied to an individual property. To obtain information about the specific conditions tied to a property, please contact the Planning and Development Services Department directly at 311 or (919) 469-4046.

How can I get help opening a business in Cary?

As an added benefit to our business community, the Town now offers a free Development Liaison service to help you successfully navigate the development and permitting process. This new service is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Our Development Liaison program primarily focuses on small business customers (less than 10,000 square feet or all businesses located in the Town Center). 

Does Cary allow me to have chickens?

Yes. Read the latest rules on backyard chickens in Cary.

Does Cary allow me to keep bees or beehives on my property as a hobby?

Yes. Read the latest rules on domestic beekeeping in Cary.

What uses are allowed in my zoning designation?

For a list of permitted uses in your zoning district, please visit Cary’s Property Research Map and find your zoning. Once your zoning is identified (see How Do I Find The Zoning of My Property, above) click on the appropriate Permitted Uses & Setbacks table. The appropriate table is identified next to the Zoning Designation.  For instance, you will want to use the Town Center table if the Zoning District states "TC”, the Walnut Street Corridor table if the Zoning District states "CT" and the Town-wide table if your Zoning District is any other zoning (excluding PDD).  If your zoning states PDD, please see the section titled "Why does my zoning designation have the letter “P” at the end?", above.

How do I go about starting a home occupation?

Home Occupations are divided into two types, Type I and Type II.  Only a Type II home occupation requires an approved Accessory Use Permit.  For more information on Home Occupations including  Home Day Cares, please visit My Home Business ,or call 311 or (919) 462-4046.

Tree trimming and pruning

No more than 33 percent of the canopy is to be pruned from shrubs and small trees, i.e. crape myrtles. If you have any question about tree pruning please call 311 or (919) 469-4046, or see A Guide for Business and Landscapers.

How many people can live in a single family home?

Historically, the Town has used the International Building Code and the State's Minimum Housing Code to determine the exact number of persons allowed to live in a single family home.  This assessment requires minimum habitable space for each individual room in the house. This is determined by minimum housing inspectors. For more information, please see Town Code Section 8-122 or contact the Planning and Development Services Department at (919) 469-4376.

How do I open a home day care?

Home day cares are permitted in almost all residential zoning districts with an Accessory Use Permit or Special Use Permit. For more information on home day cares, visit My Home Business.

How do I report or remove a junked/aesthetic nuisance vehicle?

It is unlawful to store a junked/aesthetic nuisance motor vehicle on public or private property within the Town’s municipal boundaries.

A vehicle is classified as junked if it does not have a current license plate and at least one of the following is true:

  • It is partially dismantled or wrecked 
  • It cannot propel itself or move in the manner in which it was originally intended 
  • It is more than 5 years old and apparently is worth less than $100 

Owners of these vehicles may contact the Planning and Development Services Department for details on how to get rid of them at no cost. To arrange for removal of your junked vehicle or to report one, call 311 or (919) 469-4000.

Who do I call about animal regulations?

Animal regulations are generally found in Chapter 6 of the Town Code, which is enforced by the Animal Control section of Cary’s Police Department. They handle matters such as barking complaints, animal bites, rabid animals and leash law violations.  For information please contact the Police Department at (919) 469-4012.

How do I find out about approved development plans?

New developments, as well as changes to existing built sites, typically require approval of a development plan prior to construction. Development plans are reviewed by representatives from various Town departments for compliance with the Town's Land Development Ordinance and other development-related regulations and guidelines. These development plans may be either a site plan or subdivision plan and depending upon the type of proposed development and/or its location, may be approved by Council or staff.

The approved development plans are for information only, and should not be relied upon completely since changes are sometimes made before final construction is completed. Please call 311 or (919) 469-4000 if you have any questions regarding development plans.

What can I put in an easement or right-of-way?

The Town of Cary requires setbacks for uses and structures that are proposed to be located within right-of-ways or easements. Typically, no encroachments (including landscaping) are allowed within an easement unless unique circumstances exist and approval is secured from the easement holder. If you have any questions about an easement or road right–of-way, please contact the Town of Cary Transportation and Facilities Department at (919) 469-4030.

When do I need a fence permit?

Fence Permits are required if the fences are adjacent to a thoroughfare or collector roadway, or for fences exceeding eight feet (8’) in height.  Use the streets ownership map to determine if your home is on a thoroughfare or collector.  

More information about fences can be found on the Fence Rules or in in the Town's LDO Section 7.2.7

Who do I contact if I have flooding concerns?

If you are experiencing flooding on your property due to new construction, contact storm water services at (919) 462-3932 for assistance.

Who do I contact for a grading permit?

Grading Permits are issued by the Transportation and Facilities Department. For specific information regarding grading permits and regulations, please contact the Engineering Department directly at (919) 469-4030.

Where can I find information on landscape/perimeter buffers?

These buffers are primarily located on the outer edge of developed properties. The purpose of the buffer is to aesthetically preserve the character and quality of life in the community, and functions as a boundary between property uses. All buffers, no matter what type, are protected in the corporate limits and extra territorial jurisdiction, and enforceable according to the Land Development Ordinance. For more information, call 311 or (919) 469-4000.

Who enforces the town’s noise regulations?

The Town of Cary Noise Ordinance is regulated by the Police Department. If you would like to alert the town to a potential noise violation, please call the Police Department non-emergency number at (919) 469-4012.

How does Cary regulate political signs?

Read more about political signs or review our LDO section 9.3.

Where can I pick up political signs that have been removed by Town of Cary staff that did not meet the above regulations?

Signs can be picked up at Town Hall (316 N. Academy Street) on the third floor of the parking garage in the storage area labeled “Temporary Sign Storage.”  For questions please call 311 or (919) 469-4000.

How do I get approval for special events/temporary uses?

Non-residential special events such as a race, walk/ride event, outdoor live band, grand opening, sale of agricultural products, ground breaking ceremonies, athletic events or similar type events require temporary use permit application approval. Due to multi-departmental review of the application, a temporary use permit application needs to be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event. Temporary Use Permits are limited to a set number of days per parcel based on the type of event. For more information, refer to Section 5.4 of the LDO, or call 311 or (919) 469-4000.

Stream buffers

Streams in Cary are protected by 50-foot and 100-foot buffer widths depending on their classification. To learn more about how Stream Buffers may affect your property or to determine buffer width, call 311 or (919) 462-3932.

Tall grass/weeds

Grass, weeds and undergrowth on any property in the Town should not exceed a height of eight inches. If a property owner, lessee or occupant with control of a property fails, refuses or neglects to cut, destroy or remove such weeds within two days after receipt of notice to do so given by the Public Works and Utilities Department, then the Town, through its agents and employees, may enter upon such lot or premises for a depth of 50 feet from each abutting property line, and cut and destroy such weeds and undergrowth for a depth of 50 feet from each abutting property line. The cost and expense thereof shall be paid by the owner, lessee, occupant or agent, or it shall become a lien against such property in the same manner as for taxes. For more information on Tall Grass Regulations, call 311 or (919) 469-4000.

Signs in Cary

Where do I find information on signs in Cary?

Sign regulations can be found in Chapter 9 of Cary’s Land Development Ordinance.

Do I need a permit?

Yes, all permanent signs mounted on an external building wall or awning or installed in the ground require a permit. Certain temporary signs also require a permit. 

How long does it take to get a permit?

Provided the application is complete, sign permits are processed within ten working days. 

What is a Master Sign Plan and do I need one?

Planned Development Districts and multi-tenant sites such as office parks and shopping centers require a Master or Uniform Sign Plan that provides specific criteria for signs beyond the Cary Ordinance. Check with your landlord or property management company. If you know the name of the development, you may obtain a copy by visiting Cary's Master/Uniform Sign Plans.

Can I use my logo?

Federally registered logos may be displayed in their trademarked colors, provided they do not exceed 20% of the allowable sign area. If the logo is not federally registered, then it must comply with the color, material and size specifications in the Master Sign Plan and Land Development Ordinance.

How tall can my ground sign be?

The maximum sign height is 42 inches from normal grade.

Are plexiglass cabinet-style signs allowed in Cary?

No. This type of sign is not permitted for new signs. Also, ground signs are required to be architecturally compatible with the materials found in the building.

May I have a neon sign in the window?

For businesses located in the Cary Town Center (downtown) District or within Mixed Use Overlay districts, one neon-style sign may be displayed, provided it is no larger than two square feet and only illuminated when the business is actually open.

How many colors may I use on a sign?

Signs are limited to four colors. If one is required, those colors must comply with the Uniform or Master Sign Plan.

May I transfer my existing sign to a new location if I move?

Not if it does not match the Town's Ordinance and the Uniform or Master Sign plan, and not without a new sign permit.