Remodeling, repairs, alterations, decks, porches, and many other projects require a residential building permit. Apply for your permit online and schedule an appointment.
SPOT Appointments Begin Online Reservations July 1, 2019
(Small Projects One-hour Turnaround)
Monday through Friday 8–11 a.m.
Applicants now have the opportunity to schedule SPOT (Small Project One-hour Turnaround) permit appointments online. We are introducing this opportunity to reduce wait times and allow your permit review to be more predictable.
Using our online submittal portal you will be able to submit your residential permit application and schedule your appointment. SPOT appointments occur Monday - Friday from 8-11 a.m..
- Submit your application.
- Upload your building plans and plot plan. (If your are unable to scan and upload your documents staff will assist you. Arrive 10 minutes early. The size of your plans cannot exceed 11 x 17 inches)
- Schedule your appointment 24 hours in advance.
- Staff will confirm your SPOT permit appointment.
- Arrive at your scheduled appointment time and wait while your permit submittal is reviewed. Visit the Development Support Counter, 316 N. Academy Street.
Staff will review the documents while you wait and the permit will be issued if it is complete and all issues are resolved.
Eligible projects include
- Decks, porches, storage buildings, additions of less than 500 square feet
- Interior alterations less than 1,500 square feet
A plans examiner will advise the applicant if a project is too complex to be reviewed as a SPOT.
Walk in SPOTs (permit applications without an appointment) will be extremely limited in order to accommodate the scheduled appointments.
Residential Trade Permits
See Building Permits Online for information about:
(This site is NOT for SPOT Permits)
- Water Heaters
- Heating and Air
- Electrical service changes
- Electric Vehicle Charging Station
- Installation of electrical fixtures and circuits
- Water and sewer line replacements
- Gas line installations (for gas logs, grills and appliances)
- Generator installations
- Call (919) 469-4046, Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Visit Who’s My Inspector? to find your assigned inspector and cell phone number.
- Call your inspector between 7 and 7:30 a.m. to get an ETA or discuss time restrictions.