When is a Temporary Use Events/Sales Permit required?

Temporary Use Events/Sales Permits are required if any of the following apply:

  • Open to the public and you're expecting 99 attendees or more
  • Athletic events such as 5k runs or charity walks
  • Seasonal celebrations like Christmas or St. Patrick's events 
  • Retail/commercial grand openings
  • Seasonal and agricultural sales such as fireworks, Christmas trees, pumpkins, plants, etc.
  • Any other event that will use an existing parking lot       

How do I apply for a Temporary Use Events/Sales Permit?

  • Prepare the required documents from this checklist  
  • Create an account and submit your project for review through electronic plan review portal
  • Supporting documents must be uploaded as individual PDFs

When will I receive approval?

  • Complete applications with all supporting documents from the checklist will be reviewed within 10 business days. You will receive an email notification after the review is complete with instructions on how to proceed.  
  • If approved you will receive an email with instructions on how to pay your fees online and print your documents.    

The following events do not require a Temporary Use Events/Sales Permit 

  • If your event has fewer than 99 attendees
  • Block parties (contact the police department directly at 919-469-4021)
  • Athletic events contained at a sports facility
  • Private events (events not open to the public on private property)  
  • Garage/yard sales (residential)
  • Not-for-profit car wash