Want to reduce the time it takes to review your sign permit?
The most efficient way to get a permit issued is to include all the required information in your submittal package. Gather your PDF files, measurements, sign specifications, contractor information, logo registration, site plans, landlord approvals, etc., before applying electronically.
Drawings must be submitted in color format, 8.5" x 11" minimum size.
- Master or Uniform Sign Plan #: Locate your master sign plan on the property research map
- Enter the address of the proposed sign (upper left corner)
- The address will be pinned on the map
- Click on the “i” (upper right corner of the map)
- Click on the pin on the map
- Information about your property will populate on the right side of the map. Locate your MSP or USP #. Download this document.
Review your Master Sign Plan (MSP) or Uniform Sign Plan (USP) to make sure your sign plans are in compliance.
- Scaled representation showing sign, letter, and logo dimensions
- Color name and closest equivalent Pantone Matching System (PMS) numbers for all sign components
- For logos or trademarks: dimensions, colors, materials, and confirmation of Federal or State registration or the application for the logo or trademark
- Documentation of sign approval by the property owner/manager
- Electrical drawings - for illuminated signs
- Building elevations (Include the façade frontage of the principal entrance.)
- Illuminated wall signs require a riser diagram for each service with service size, conduit size, wire size, etc.
- Survey or plot plan showing the sign location - for ground signs
- Landscape plan for principal ground signs taller than 42”, illustrating a minimum of 32 square feet of landscaping.
- Construction drawings - for monument signs exceeding 72 inches (6 feet) from the top to the bottom of the footing.
- For masonry ground/monument signs that exceed 72” above grade require a project specific structural design, signed and sealed provided by a design professional.
- For non-masonry ground signs that exceed 72" above grade require a project specific structural design, signed and sealed provided by a design professional.
- For illuminated ground/monument signs, project specific riser diagram for each service with service size, conduit size, wire size, etc.
- For ground/monument signs which will have gas lanterns, a complete gas riser diagram of all gas piping from the gas meter to each lamp. Include pipe sizes and operating pressure.
Change of tenant requirement
If you are a new tenant or have never applied for a change of tenant permit – you will need to do this before a sign permit can be issued. This process identifies what businesses are in the community and confirms the space you are leasing is compatible with the land use you are pursuing. You should apply for this permit prior to signing a lease to confirm you are in compliance.
If you have questions about the space, you are considering please contact Cary’s Development Liaisons. They will help you confirm that you may operate your business at this new location.