Development Process Flowcharts

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Throughout the life of a project, applicants may be required to go through one or more development processes.  




Pre-Application Meeting

Provides an applicant or property owner a no-cost opportunity to propose a draft idea (rezoning or development plan) to the Development Review Committee (DRC) and receive feedback before deciding whether or not to proceed.

Pre-Application Meeting Request (electronic submittal)


Required anytime a property owner wants to use their property (change their entitlements) in a manner that is not consistent with the current zoning designation.

Rezoning Application

Rezoning Checklist


Required when a property owner requests to be brought into the Town of Cary's corporate limits. Annexation typically occurs along with the rezoning or development plan process.

Annexation Petition

Special Use

Required when an applicant wants to use a property for a use that is generally consistent with the zoning district, but because of certain circumstances requires an additional level of approval by Town Council.   Special Use approval is needed anytime an "S" appears in the Table of Permitted Uses in Chapter 5, Land Development Ordinance (LDO).

Special Use Permit Application

Development Plan

Required to subdivide or develop a property unless otherwise exempt by the Land Development Ordinance (LDO). Development Plan approval allows the Town to ensure a proposed development plan is consistent with Federal, State and Local regulations.

Development Plan Application


Required when a property owner splits, combines or moves a property boundary. Platting allows Cary to ensure that all lots comply with Town regulations.

Plat Application

Plat Requirements

Plat Certificates

Building Permit

Required for the construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, relocation, removal or demolition of any building or structure, the installation or extension or general repair for any plumbing system, electrical wiring, devices or equipment. Building Permits are also required when a change of a tenant or occupancy within a building or suite occurs.

Commercial Permit  

Abbreviated Building Code Summary

Full Building Code Summary

Residential Permit

Other Residential Permits

For more information on Cary's development processes, please contact the Planning and Development Services Department at 311 inside of Cary or (919) 469-4000 outside of Cary.