Planning and Development Services Call Center
Online Services (click2gov)
- Apply for a Residential Trade Permit
- Schedule or cancel an inspection
- Pay for a permit fees
- Review inspection results
- Search permits
- Commercial Building Permits
- Residential - new construction & small projects
- Development Plans
Commercial Building Permits
Temporary and permanent sign applications are accepted online through our IDT site. Additional information is available:
Rules and Regulations
Changes to Development Plan Review Process
Starting Jan. 30, 2019, we're making some changes to our plan review process. Read about them here.
Cary is in the heart of the Triangle area, which repeatedly ranks among the top places in the nation to live, work and do business. Get your project from concept to completion with the aid of our development process flowcharts or get more details about our stages of development and permitting below.
Schedule an appointment with a Development Liaison to discuss development processes such as:
- Verify or amend your land use or zoning
- Apply for Special Use Approvals
- Prepare for a Pre-Application meeting with our Development Review Committee.
- A Pre-Application meeting is a free opportunity to propose a draft business proposal to Town staff and receive feedback before proceeding with a business idea.
Following development plan approvals and obtaining any necessary Federal, State and Local land permits:
- Set up a pre-construction conference with your Stormwater Engineering & Infrastructure Technician
- Apply for a grading permit if needed
Inspections are required at each phase of construction covering the site:
- Public Infrastructure
- Food Services, if applicable.
Once you have received your Certificate of Completion (CC) or Certificate of Occupancy (CO), you may have some changes to your development plan or wish to apply for a Temporary Use Permit for a grand opening event. Other post-construction permits or approvals may include Fence Permit, Sign Permit and Building Permit for Change of Tenant.