Planning and Development Services Call Center
Online Services (click2gov)
- Apply for a Residential Trade Permit
- Schedule or cancel an inspection
- Pay for a permit fees
- Review inspection results
- Commercial Building Permits
- Residential - new construction & small projects
- Development Plans
Developments Around Town
Rules and Regulations
Cary is in the heart of the Triangle area, which repeatedly ranks among the top places in the nation to live, work and do business. Get your project from concept to completion with the aid of our development process flowcharts or get more details about our stages of development and permitting below.
- Verify or amend your land use or zoning
- Apply for Special Use Approvals
- Prepare for a Pre-Application meeting with our Development Review Committee.
- A Pre-Application meeting is a free opportunity to propose a draft business proposal to Town staff and receive feedback before proceeding with a business idea.
Design your site in accordance with Cary's Land Development Ordinance (LDO).
Your project may require permits and design considerations related to:
Following development plan approvals and obtaining any necessary Federal, State and Local land permits:
- Set up a pre-construction conference with your Stormwater Engineering & Infrastructure Technician
- Apply for a grading permit if needed
Inspections are required at each phase of construction covering the site:
- Public Infrastructure
- Food Services, if applicable.
Once you have received your Certificate of Completion (CC) or Certificate of Occupancy (CO), you may have some Minor Alterations to your development plan or wish to apply for a Temporary Use Permit for a grand opening event. Other post-construction permits or approvals may include Fence Permit, Sign Permit and Building Permit for Change of Tenant.