Planning and Development Services Call Center
Online Services (click2gov)
- Apply for a Residential Trade Permit
- Schedule or cancel an inspection
- Pay for a permit fees
- Review inspection results
- Search permits
- Commercial Building Permits
- Residential - new construction & small projects
- Development Plans
Commercial Building Permits
Temporary and permanent sign applications are accepted online through our IDT site. Additional information is available:
Rules and Regulations
The Town of Cary has declared a State of Emergency and closed Town Hall and all staffed facilities. Critical services including police, fire, sanitation, water distribution, wastewater, inspections and permits, 911, and 311 will continue uninterrupted. If you have a question or need non-emergency assistance, dial 311 within town limits. For emergencies, dial 911. Learn more.
Effective March 17, 2020 – Remote SPOT appointments ONLY
As part of our ongoing efforts to keep citizens safe from COVID-19, we are asking our SPOT program customers NOT to come into Town Hall for appointments. Applications will be processed remotely.
- Apply for your permit and schedule your SPOT appointment through the electronic plan review portal as usual
- Staff will review your permit remotely at your appointed time
- Be available via phone for questions during your scheduled appointment time
- You will be notified by email once your SPOT permit is complete
- There will NOT be a permit card – the permit will be issued electronically
- You’ll need to print your documents and plans and have them available on-site for the inspector
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Cary is in the heart of the Triangle area, which repeatedly ranks among the top places in the nation to live, work and do business. Get your project from concept to completion with the aid of our development process flowcharts or get more details about our stages of development and permitting below.
Schedule an appointment with a Development Liaison to discuss development processes such as:
- Verify or amend your land use or zoning
- Apply for Special Use Approvals
- Prepare for a Pre-Application meeting with our Development Review Committee.
- A Pre-Application meeting is a free opportunity to propose a draft business proposal to Town staff and receive feedback before proceeding with a business idea.
Following development plan approvals and obtaining any necessary Federal, State and Local land permits:
- Set up a pre-construction conference with your Stormwater Engineering & Infrastructure Technician
- Apply for a grading permit if needed
Inspections are required at each phase of construction covering the site:
- Public Infrastructure
- Food Services, if applicable.