Unclaimed Money

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Town of Cary, like other governments, financial institutions, etc., keeps a record of unclaimed money it is holding that belongs to individuals. The Town wants to return this money.

What Money?
Balances in closed utility accounts and over payments and leftover deposits for reservation of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources facilities account for most of the money. Amounts range from a few dollars to $250.

How the Money is Held
If you leave a deposit to reserve a picnic shelter, for example, the Town deposits the money and cuts a new check when the refund is due. If it returns undelivered, the Town adds the check number, name, date and amount to a list of unclaimed money. The list is updated monthly.

What Happens if it Remains Unclaimed
State law requires that government agencies, financial institutions, insurance companies and other businesses turn over unclaimed money to the state after a certain amount of time.

The state has no time limit for filing claims. It holds unclaimed money in trust for the rightful owners forever.

Visit the state's escheat and unclaimed property web site.

How to Claim Missing or Stolen Property
The Cary Police Department retrieves hundreds of bicycles, tools, stereo components and other pieces of stolen property each year. Police store the property and try to contact the owners. Eventually, unclaimed property retrieved by police is destroyed or sold at auction.

For more information on unclaimed money, contact:

Andrea Johnson
Accounting Supervisor
Town of Cary
(919) 460-4948

For more information on property retrieved by police, contact:

Margit Sylvester
Police Support Services Supervisor
Cary Police Department
(919) 319-4516