Cary Honors Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Volunteers
- The Town of Cary honored nine outstanding Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources volunteers at the annual Volunteer Appreciation Picnic on September 22.
- To nominate a deserving person who has volunteered with the Cary Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department for an award, please submit a nomination form.
Cary, NC – The Town of Cary honored nine outstanding volunteers for Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources at the annual Volunteer Appreciation Picnic on September 22. Volunteers for Cary Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources donate thousands of hours each year to help make it possible for the Town to provide programs and services for the citizens of Cary and surrounding communities.
Award winners this year include:
Don Smith Award: Kerry Reese
- The Don Smith award recognizes a volunteer in Cary’s athletics programs who demonstrates leadership as well as promotes skill development, sportsmanship, participation, and fun.
Distinguished New Coaches: Chad Wray and Liz Schwartz
- The Distinguished New Coach award recognizes a person who has coached less than five years with the Town of Cary and demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively with players, parents and staff, brings in new ideas, and promotes Cary’s athletics philosophy.
Cultural Arts: Birgul Tuzlali
- The Cultural Arts Award is presented to an individual who lends leadership and support to all aspects of Cary’s arts programs, including literacy, performance and visual arts.
Partner Organization: The Conservation Fund of North Carolina
- The Partner Organization of the Year award is presented to a non-profit, civic, school, club, or other organization that has partnered with Cary to make a significant impact on the quality of life for Cary’s citizens.
Events Volunteer: Carol Jenkins
- The Events Volunteer Award is presented to an individual who has provided support to one or more of the many special events.
Outstanding Teen: Corina Smith
- The Outstanding Teen Award is awarded to a deserving member of Cary’s Teen Council who demonstrates leadership and a strong interest in community service.
Senior Volunteer: James Burcsu
- The Senior Volunteer Award is presented to an individual who has impacted the lives of Cary citizens ages 55 and older;
Herb Young Award: Thomas Gruber
- The Herb Young Award is given to a volunteer with overall outstanding service, leadership, and support for and of the staff and programs of Cary’s Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department.
“This year’s picnic included dinner, games, giveaways, and entertainment. It is an honor to provide this picnic to volunteers and their families who give thousands of hours each year to support our programs, activities, and facilities in Cary,” said Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Director Doug McRainey. “We appreciate each of these dedicated individuals for their exemplary and unselfish service to the Cary community.”
The Town of Cary offers many opportunities for citizens to become involved in the community including coaching, trail workdays, park cleanup, maintenance or enhancement projects, docents at Page-Walker Arts and History Center, and helping with Applause! Cary Youth Theatre. Also, the Athletics Committee, Greenways Committee, and Cultural Arts Committee serve as advisory bodies to the Town Council’s PRCR Citizen Advisory Board. Explore all of Cary's volunteer opportunities online.
If you know of a deserving person who has volunteered with the Cary Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Department and would like to nominate him or her for any of these awards, please submit a nomination form. Check out Cary’s Volunteer Hall of Fame to see past recipients of these awards.
Sonya Snyder, Special Services Supervisor, (919) 469-4065
Sarah Schubert, Marketing Project Manager (919) 319-4574