Cary Honors Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Volunteers
- The Town of Cary honored nine outstanding Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources volunteers at the annual Volunteer Appreciation Picnic on September 23.
- In addition to honoring hundreds of volunteers, a ticket raffle held in conjunction with the appreciation picnic raised over $2,220 to benefit the Play It Forward scholarship fund.
- To nominate a deserving person who has volunteered with the Cary Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Department for an award, please submit a nomination form.
Cary, NC – The Town of Cary honored nine outstanding volunteers for Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources at the annual Volunteer Appreciation Picnic on September 23. Volunteers for Cary Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources donate thousands of hours each year to help make it possible for the Town to provide programs and services for the citizens of Cary and surrounding communities.
Award winners this year include:
Don Smith Award: David Sinodis
- The Don Smith award recognizes a volunteer in the Town’s athletics programs who demonstrates leadership as well as promotes skill development, sportsmanship, participation and fun;
Distinguished New Coach: Kathy Hackett
- The Distinguished New Coach award recognizes a person who has coached less than five years with the Town of Cary and demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively with players, parents and staff, brings in new ideas and promotes the Town’s athletics philosophy;
Cultural Arts: Lester Thomas
- The Cultural Arts Award is presented to an individual who lends leadership and support to all aspects of the Town’s arts programs, including literacy, performance and visual arts;
Partner Organization: Kids Together, Inc.
- The Partner Organization of the Year award is presented to a non-profit, civic, school, club or other organization that has partnered with the Town of Cary to make a significant impact on the quality of life for Cary’s citizens;
Events Volunteer: Dan Pike
- The Events Volunteer Award is presented to an individual who has provided support to one or more of the many special events;
Outstanding Teen: Amy Chang
- The Outstanding Teen Award is awarded to a deserving member of Cary’s Teen Council who demonstrates leadership and a strong interest in community service;
Senior Volunteer: Mike Walsh
- The Senior Volunteer Award is presented to an individual who has impacted the lives of Cary citizens ages 55 and older;
Parks & Trails Award: Laura White
- The Parks & Trails Award recognizes leadership and effectiveness in advocating nature conservation and education;
Herb Young Award: Sarah Martin
- The Herb Young Award is given to a volunteer with overall outstanding service, leadership and support for and of the staff and programs of The Town of Cary’s Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources (PRCR) Department.
“This year’s picnic theme was ‘Thanks Y’all!’ and dinner, games and entertainment were provided to volunteers who give thousands of hours each year to support our programs, activities and facilities in the Town of Cary,” said Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Director Doug McRainey. “We appreciate each of these dedicated individuals for their exemplary and unselfish service to the Cary community.”
In addition to honoring hundreds of volunteers, the ticket raffle held in conjunction with the appreciation picnic raised over $2,220, to benefit the Play It Forward Scholarship Fund which allows Cary residents to apply for scholarships and/or reduction of fees for Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources’ programs. To donate, search “Play it Forward” at www.townofcary.org or text “PlayitForward” to 898-311.
The Town of Cary offers many opportunities for citizens to become involved in the community including coaching, trail workdays, park cleanup, maintenance or enhancement projects, docents at Page-Walker Arts and History Center, and helping with Applause! Cary Youth Theatre. Also, the Athletics Committee, Greenways Committee, and Cultural Arts Committee serve as advisory bodies to the Town Council’s PRCR Citizen Advisory Board.
If you know of a deserving person who has volunteered with the Cary Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Department and would like to nominate him or her for any of these awards, please submit a nomination form. Check out Cary’s Volunteer Hall of Fame to see past recipients of these awards.
Carla Witherington, Community Outreach Specialist, (919) 653-7107
Stephen McNulty, Public Information Specialist, (919) 465-4606
Deanna Hawkes, Deputy Public Information Officer, (919) 380-4240