NW Cary Parkway Updates
August 11, 2017: Much-needed rain places damper on the NW Cary Parkway project
The contractors on NW Cary Parkway are working around rain delays to complete the project as soon as they can. Lane Construction hopes to have the detour opened up by the end of next week, as long as the great weather we are having today holds out. During this time of construction, we would like to remind citizens to be mindful of their surroundings and obey detour signs as they travel through the work zone.
July 27, 2017: Detour Update
Weather permitting, we will be reversing the detour on NW Cary Parkway on Tuesday afternoon, August 1, 2017.
July 20, 2017: Removal of the first concrete panels reveals underlying problem
Have you ever wondered why the concrete section of NW Cary Parkway before the bridge is rough as you drive over it? Contractors working on behalf of the Town of Cary removed the first panels of concrete July 19, 2017, which revealed the underlying problem: Heavily saturated material was found underneath the concrete along the first 85 feet of roadway. This section of road was initially built by a developer. The wet, soft clay material was removed at a depth of 12 inches and replaced with an asphalt-based material. This provides the structural foundation needed to support the traffic loads of the roadway for years to come. So far, the remainder of the NW Cary Parkway sub-base has been in excellent shape. The contractor anticipates having the eastbound lanes finished by the end of July 2017.
Northwest Cary Parkway between Evans Road and North Harrison Avenue was constructed through various private land development projects between 1986 and 1990. This street received poor ratings in the Town's most recent Pavement Condition Survey and is scheduled for rehabilitation. Town Council awarded this project to Lane Construction during their March 9, 2017 meeting. View the NW Cary Staff Report.
- Remove all concrete sections and rebuild the street with an entirely new asphalt pavement structure;
- Install a 2-foot paved shoulder along the existing grass shoulder section to increase safety and reduce maintenance;
- Repair and resurface the entire street from Evans Road to North Harrison Avenue;
- Resurface several neighborhood streets within the project area that also received poor ratings in the Pavement Condition Survey.
Due to the extent of repairs scheduled, the construction sequence includes closing one lane at a time and detouring traffic to N. Harrison Avenue, Weston Parkway, and Norwell Blvd. View detour maps.
The lane not under construction will remain open and allow citizens one-way to access their destinations. Bridge maintenance repairs are being schedule in 2018. Work will not be performed at night.
What to Expect
The following describes how the work on NW Cary Parkway will be sequenced
- Lane Closures with flaggers, maintaining two-way traffic, to saw cut the concrete and other minor work to prepare for concrete removal.
- (Detour Phase 1) Closing Eastbound NW Cary Parkway from Norwell Blvd. to N. Harrison Ave., reducing to one-way traffic, to remove and replace concrete pavement with asphalt.
- (Detour Phase 2) Closing Westbound NW Cary Parkway from N. Harrison Ave. to Norwell Blvd., reversing one-way traffic, to remove and replace concrete pavement with asphalt.
- Lane closures with flaggers, maintaining two-way traffic, to pave the final layer of asphalt from Evans Road to N. Harrison Ave. and perform other minor tasks.
During the times we will be completely closing NW Cary Parkway to one-way traffic, the traffic will be detoured around Norwell Blvd., Weston Parkway, and N. Harrison Ave. (See attached maps) There will be message boards, arrow boards and flaggers that will assist with the either the lane closures and/or detours.
The estimated construction cost is $2.1 million.
- Begin construction in summer 2017
- Project completion in fall 2017
- Bridge Repairs (under separate contract) 2018
Sammy Wood, PE