Spring and summer months bring more than just sunshine and flowers. Weather can quickly change from pleasant to dangerous, making it even more important to take time now to properly prepare for warm weather disasters like tornadoes, hurricanes and thunderstorms/lightning.
- Always tune into your local radio and TV broadcast, and keep a cell phone nearby.
- Identify a tornado-safe location in your home and at work.
- If time allows, secure loose outdoor items that could become flying debris.
- Take shelter in a sturdy building, on its lowest level and away from doors and windows.
- Stay off of corded phones and avoid plumbing and concrete floors and walls.
- Don’t touch electrical equipment or electronics plugged into the wall.
- Beware of downed power lines, broken gas lines and dangerous debris.
- Stay off the roads to allow emergency personnel to quickly respond to those in need.
- Never drive or walk into flooded waters
Quick Reference Links: