Citizen Volunteer Opportunities
At the Town of Cary, we believe an involved citizenry is the hallmark of a strong community and an effective government. Indeed, it was a citizen’s movement in 1871 that resulted in the formation of the Town of Cary. Today, opportunities abound for Cary citizens to continue taking part in shaping their government, their communities and their own futures.
Learn more about our numerous volunteer and involvement opportunities, and begin sharing your time and talents to better OUR Cary!
Boards & Commissions / Sports & Leisure / Stormwater Education / Environmental Conservation / Citizens Assisting Police / Community Emergency Response Team / School of Government / Cary Teen Council
Public Hearings and Meetings
Why Should I Get Involved?
The Cary Town Council -- all of whom live and work among us -- recognizes and values the importance of citizen participation in local government. Two of Cary's value statements directly speak to this:
- Our organization exists to serve our citizens. We will be open, ensure access, encourage involvement and be accountable to our citizens.
- We will achieve the best results through effective teamwork, strategic partnerships and community participation.
To achieve these values, the Town of Cary offers numerous volunteer and involvement opportunities as mechanisms to engage citizens in the democratic process. Please consider sharing your time and talents to make OUR Cary a better place for today and future generations.
Citizen volunteers experience:
- Satisfaction in sharing their talents and shaping the future of our Town;
- Pride in leading the way and modeling the importance and value of good citizenship -- giving of themselves in a tangible way for the good of our community;
- Personal enrichment as they meet other Cary citizens with diverse life experiences and cultural backgrounds;
- A sense of civic accomplishment in ensuring the citizens’ perspective is represented in our government;
- Ownership in their Town of Cary government; and
- Eligibility to join the Local Government Federal Credit Union.
The Town, staff and elected officials experience:
- Satisfaction as we expand and enhance the services we offer to do things we could never do on our own;
- The privilege of interacting with our citizens;
- A better understanding of our citizens’ perspectives;
- An opportunity to learn from our citizens and to ensure our policies and practices are the best they can be for our community as a whole; and
- An opportunity to ensure our government is truly a “government of the people, by the people, for the people” as was stated by Abraham Lincoln in the Gettysburg Address.