New to Cary?

Child on bike at the Amphitheatre

New to Cary?

Watch Mayor Harold Weinbrecht's Welcome Message and read his letter to Cary citizens and visitors.

Government Responsibilities Electricity, Gas, Telephone & Cable TV Pets
Water & Sewer Service Emergencies Driver's License & Vehicle Tags
Solid Waste Collection Maps & Directions Voting


Government Responsibilities
Town of Cary services include police and fire protection, garbage collection, water and sewer service, planning, and inspections. Cary has numerous parks, greenway trails, and programs for athletics and cultural arts. The citizens elect a mayor and six Town Council members, four of whom represent districts. The chief administrator is the town manager, whom the council appoints.

The Citizen's Guide to Services provides an A-Z listing of Town of Cary services. It also includes an alphabetical directory of most requested telephone numbers for schools, other government agencies and community organizations.

Cary residents have addresses in Wake County and in Chatham County, and are served by the county in which they reside.  Responsibilities of county government include the Sheriff's Department, health and social services, the landfill and library system in addition to funding for schools.

Cary students attend Wake County Public Schools or Chatham County Schools based on their address.

Water & Sewer Service
Call the Finance Department at (919) 469-4050 to set up water, sewer, solid waste, and recycling service.

Solid Waste Collection
The Customer Service Representative who signs you up for water and sewer service will do the same for solid waste collection. The Town collects household garbage, small appliances and other trash, yard trimmings, and recyclable materials weekly. Find out your collection day and recycling week by using our online mapping tool.

Electricity, Telephone, Gas and Cable TV

Dial 911 for emergency police, fire or ambulance calls and 469-4012 for situations not involving imminent threats to people or loss of property.

Finding Your Way
The Maps and Directions page can help you get to Town Hall, parks and other Cary government locations.

Maps Online has an extensive collection of geographic information about Cary.

All dogs and cats at least 4 months old must wear Town of Cary identification tags to help reunite lost pets with their owners. Call the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department at 469-4061 for more information or complete an application form. For more important information regarding pets, including rabies and the leash law, contact Animal Control at 319-4517.

Driver's Licenses and Vehicle Tags
See N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles requirements for those who have moved here from elsewhere in North Carolina or from out of state.

Voter Registration
Pick up a registration form at the Town Clerk's office on Town Hall campus, any driver's license office or your local public library. Forms go to the Wake County Board of Elections office in downtown Raleigh for Wake County residents; in Chatham County, forms go to the Chatham County Board of Elections in Pittsboro.