Greet the Season at Cary’s Heart of the Holidays Celebration
- Kick off the season with a full day’s worth of holiday cheer in historic Downtown Cary on Saturday, December 2.
- Festivities include the annual Gingerbread House Competition, Santa’s Workshop, Page-Walker Holiday Open House and the Christmas Tree Lighting.
- New this year is Light Up Downtown featuring the Downtown Park fountain and the return of the Heart of Cary’s Ole Time Winter Festival.
Cary, NC – It’s about to get holly and jolly in Cary with the Town’s annual Heart of the Holidays Celebration December 2 in downtown Cary. The day-long seasonal celebration opens with Santa’s Workshop from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at the Herb Young Community Center, 101 Wilkinson Ave. Children ages 10 and younger can participate in a number of crafts and visit with Santa Claus. While there is no fee to attend, guests are encouraged to support the Cary Teen Council’s annual food drive by bringing non-perishable foods or making a cash donation; all items will be given to a local charity.
End the day at the Town’s official Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony at 6 p.m. on Town Hall Campus, 316 N. Academy St. And new this year is Light Up Downtown, a spectacular presentation of Downtown Park’s fountain lights and water choreographed to 30 minutes of holiday songs. The first show is after the tree lighting on December 2 at 8:30 p.m. After that the show runs at 6, 7, and 8 p.m. on weeknights with additional shows at 9 and 10 p.m. on weekends. The last show is on Christmas Day at 8 p.m.
Other activities on December 2 include:
- Gingerbread Houses |10 a.m.-4 p.m. | Downtown Cary
- Heart of Cary’s Ole Time Winter Festival | noon-4 p.m. | Downtown Cary
- A Christmas Story | 3 & 7:30 p.m. | Cary Arts Center | Tickets Available for Purchase
- Page-Walker Holiday Open House | 4-6 p.m. | Page-Walker Arts & History Center
- Letters to Santa | November 20-December 10 | Town Hall Campus
- Gifting Tree Project | December 2-January 2 | South Academy Street & Downtown Park
“Heart of the Holidays in Downtown Cary is the perfect way to kick-off the holiday season with festivities for the whole family,” said Ryan O’Quinn, outdoor program specialist. “With the return of Cary’s Ole Time Winter Festival and all of the other great events, there’s something for everyone from the kids to the grandparents.”
Additional holiday events planned throughout December include:
- Grinch Candy Cane Hunt | December 9 | 1 p.m. | Fred G. Metro Bond Park
- Arbolito de la Esperanza Tree of Hope Lighting | December 9 | 6-8 p.m. | Herbert C. Young Community Center
- White Christmas Sing-Along | December 15-17 | Show times vary | Cary Arts Center
- Menorah Lighting | December 19 | 5 :30 p.m. | Cary Arts Center
- Cary Kwanzaa Celebration | December 29 | 11 a.m. | Cary Arts Center
For complete Heart of the Holidays details, visit www.townofcary.org/hoh or call (919) 469-4061. A complete list of December holiday activities are also available on the Town’s website. And for more fun in Cary, follow the Town on Twitter @TOC_Fun and check out the Meetings & Events calendar at www.townofcary.org.
Ryan O’Quinn, Outdoor Program Specialist, (919) 460-4968
Carrie Roman, Public Information Supervisor, (919) 481-5091
Deanna Hawkes, Deputy Public Information Officer, (919) 380-4240
Heart of the Holidays
Cary’s Ole Time Winter Festival
Page-Walker Holiday Open House
Christmas Tree Lighting
A Christmas Story
Letters to Santa
Gifting Tree Project