- Wear makeup instead of masks
- Make sure costumes fit properly (not too long or too tight)
- Carry a flashlight or light stick
- Go with a group or parents and start early
- Stay in your own neighborhood and use sidewalks
- Cross streets at corners…STOP, LOOK and LISTEN before crossing!
- Stop only at houses that are lighted or have Halloween decorations
- Be careful on steps and do not touch pumpkins with candles in them
- Never go into strangers houses no matter what anyone says!
- Never eat candy or treats until your parents have checked every piece
- Report anything that makes you feel uncomfortable to your parents
- Check costumes for proper fit to avoid trips and falls
- Ensure costumes are flame resistant
- Try make-up instead of a mask (masks obstruct a child’s vision)
- Select light colored costumes or use reflective strips
- Use flashlights and light sticks
- Accompany young children and plan a route in advance
- Start early, preferably when it is light outside
- Check out treats at home in a well-lighted place
- Allow children to eat only unopened candies in their original wrappers
- Report anything suspicious to the police department!
If you have questions please contact tje Community Services Officer at (919) 469-4324.